Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids like watching the high school shooting team. They are 8 and 10 now. We've done a lot of rifle shooting but the only shotgun I have is the full sized Remington 870 12 gauge. So they've never shot a shotgun.

The LGS has a Remington 870 Junior 20 Gauge. Looks and runs just like mine. Is this a good starter gun? Should I look for a 28 Gauge or even a 410 first? Would the smaller than 20g shot take out a clay at 16 yds? The thing I like about the 870 Junior is as the kids grow, there are longer stocks and barrels so they can keep shooting the same 20 for at least a few years. Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No personal experience, but for what it's worth a couple of the guys I shoot with have their kids with 20ga setups.. Ages 10/11. I like the thinking that you can always modify later to suit needs in the future.

Do you have a friend or a range that'll let you borrow/rent? That's really going to be the best way to figure out if they can handle it... Maybe even find some low-recoil loads to start with and work up to normal loads. (Don't know about 20ga, but Federal has those blue 12ga low-recoil shells... I'm assuming they have them for 20ga also)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 20 ga is good but the kick is relative between the 12 and 20. A youth 12 would be a little more economical due to the ability to feed it all the same ammo.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My kids like watching the high school shooting team. They are 8 and 10 now. We've done a lot of rifle shooting but the only shotgun I have is the full sized Remington 870 12 gauge. So they've never shot a shotgun.

The LGS has a Remington 870 Junior 20 Gauge. Looks and runs just like mine. Is this a good starter gun? Should I look for a 28 Gauge or even a 410 first? Would the smaller than 20g shot take out a clay at 16 yds? The thing I like about the 870 Junior is as the kids grow, there are longer stocks and barrels so they can keep shooting the same 20 for at least a few years. Thoughts?
At 8 and 10 years your looking at the maturity the are able to present with firearms. With a shotgun its more about there body mass and arm strength Ie how well they can handle the fatigue of shooting and remain safe .

410's are fun and will force them to aim tight to become proficient, but they are expensive shells. A youth 20 guage is ideal IMHO or even a single shot 20. I started all of mine on a single shot 20,they now shoot 20's and 12's.

As youve pointed out iits easy to switch furniture. YOu can buy standard lengths 20's and purchase youth furniture or vice versa....

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking mainly the 10yo at this point since he's a big boy like me and can probably handle it. I found out they have a youth league which starts at 5th grade (which is next year).

No one rents guns around here, but I found out when the youth league practice is, so I might buy a box of shells and see if we can borrow a gun from one of the other families for a few shots.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say yes.

.410 can suck to learn on; the shot pattern is small, and it's easy to miss clays...meaning it won't be fun.
I agree with this here. Start them off with a 20 Ga. recoil is very mild and managable (my brother started on one at age 8 and did fine) and will still give them the power they need to break targets consistently. I personally consider a .410 an expert's gun because there is so little shot in those small cartridges.

Get a good 20 Ga and you'll be set for fun with your kids!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just think it is cool that there is a high school shooting team. Around were I grew up every match would end with a SWAT team arriving because of reports of people with guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts