Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas was a happy day for me because I received a Mossberg 930 SPX as a present from my brother! I know that is an expensive present but he just got out of boot for christmas break and decided to buy me something nice before he gets shipped to Korea. I'll post pictures of mah new beauty when I go shoot it soon!! Yes, Christmas was a while ago but I haven't been around since then... Also any ideas about accessories to add to mah new zombie killing weapon?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it came down between this Mossberg and a Saiga 12 so its funny that you mention that. My brother is great, we really started getting along better after I went to college and he went to the army. So I was looking at the Aimpro Tri-rail for the 930 to use on my SPX, it has three picatinny rails and is supposed to make the weapon cycle more efficiently so it can shoot low recoil rounds. Any thoughts on it? It is a little pricey...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol unfortunately I live in a dorm so I can't take it out of my car on campus and I haven't been able to hit a range near here, so, in short, no pics yet.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loading a 930

I have a question for Mossberg 930 owners. My local shop has two new 930 SPX's for sale (standard rear stock and PG rear stock). I read the online manual for this gun and it seems that the first round cannot be chambered from the mag tube. According to the manual, the safety is pulled back to the "on safe" position, the bolt is pulled back until it locks back, a round is fed into the open ejection port, the bolt release button is hit (chambering the round), and then rounds are fed into the mag tube.

Unlike my pump-action shotgun (Winchester SXP Defender, which is awesome), typical autoloading rifle (like my AR-15), or auto-loading pistol, the Mossberg 930 will not feed a round from the magazine when you work the action manually. Does this mean the 930 must be stored with a chambered round or no rounds at all? With my pump shotgun, the mag tube can be filled with the chamber empty, action locked, and safety on. Pressing the action release allows me to pump a round from the magazine to the chamber, safety on the whole time.

Some people advocate storing a pump shotgun with a full mag tube, empty chamber, and hammer down so that the gun can be racked without needing to press the action release. I don't agree. Pulling the trigger on a gun with a loaded magazine is not a good practice. It also means the gun is stored with the safety off and once racked and chamber loaded, the safety will be off. Someone else unfamiliar with the shotgun's controls might be hindered by having the action locked and the safety on (a good thing). Having the action unlocked and safety off means anyone can load the chamber and fire with minimal effort (a bad thing). And yes I keep my guns locked up securely.

One thing I really like about my Win SXP (and hate about the Rem 870) is the action release position. On the Win SXP, the release is behind the trigger guard and can be activated with the middle finger of the trigger hand, no shifting of grip. You can't do that with the Rem 870.

Can you load the Mossberg 930 mag tube first, with an empty chamber? If you did, I don't think working the action would load the chamber. You would have to have a loose round ready to throw into the open ejection port. Seems awkward and will likely be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I think I know what you're getting at but I'd have to go look at my shottie to be sure. So basically you're asking when you load the mag tube with only one shotshell are you able to chamber it by cycling the action? To be honest I've never tried that so I don't know if that would work. But if you fill up the mag tube you can easily cycle a round into the chamber by cocking it. Or you can press the action release button with a full mag tube and one shotshell will come out onto the conveyor so when you cock it, the shell will be pulled into the chamber. I'll have to look at my shotgun this weekend and try out what you're talking about. Oh and you must really love that SXP because I see you talking about it everywhere!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are testing loading your SPX at home please use dummy snap cap rounds. Supposedly there is way to load some auto shotguns with one on the carrier, one in the chamber, and a full mag tube for X+1+1.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ok I know what you're talking about, ghost loading. Yeah you can ghost load the SPX its just takes a little practice. And don't worry I don't load my shotgun except when I'm going to shoot it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts