Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my Father's first gun was a winchester model 370, chambered in 16 gauge. Sadly, it was burned up in a house fire. I would love to restore it for him! All I can find on gunbrokers is 12 and 20 gauges. Do yall think the furniture would fit a 16ga??

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If it went thru a house fire, the metal has almost certainly lost it's tempering and cannot be restored to shooting condition.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I concur with RKB. Your Dad's 370 has probably been overheated and not a good candidate to restore. The Old Man started me out with a single barrel in 1971, and it was a Winchester 370 in 20 gauge. I did not know they made a 16 in that gun, but I never really researched the matter either. In that vintage, and in that time, if they made a 16 it would certainly have been built on an existing frame, probably a 12. You could pick up a nice specimen at a gun show in 12 gauge and keep your eyes peeled for a 16 gauge barrel to fit, or could be made to fit, and then surprise your Dad with the finished product. Sadly remember you need to do the transfer paperwork these days and sell the gun to your dad.

·
Registered
452 Posts
They did make it in 16, they are around, and they do not break the bank. Shouldn't be hard to round up a clean one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts