Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my grandfather's model 12 and would like to get it completely reworked. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Reworked vs restored. Restored means correctly repaired, correctly restocked, and correctly refinished. Visit the Winchester Forum, find a professional, pay the extra money, and wind up with a real Winchester properly restored. Re-blued, wood sanded and refinished by the casual gunsmith, wind up with an undervalued specimen. An heirloom deserves the full treatment. They aren't making any more original ones. Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes I meant restored. How can I be sure that it’s a professional that could do a good restoration? Look at references? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stu Wright in Illinois was THE guy for older Winchester work. He passed away in 2015 and his son took over the business...but I believe only selling parts that he accumulated.

Where are you located? I like using local guys when possible. Also, like 4575 suggested, visiting the Winchester forum and asking your question there might give you a more informed response.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had forgotten about Simmons. They did a lot of custom work on the Model 12 straight from the Winchester factory back in the day. Might be worth giving them a call and see what they say.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Simmons can reblue to look original. The old m12 wood had a reddish lacquer type of finish that I can do for myself but I don’t know where to suggest you have it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts