Shotgun Forums banner

Winchester 101 issue

4K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  bobski 
#1 ·
I recently bought a single barrel 101 with an adjustable recoil pad installed. The choke designation is full and does NOT have a monte carlo comb. The fore end latch doesn't seem to latch tight. I'm looking for an exploded schematic so I can see what parts are there / not there. The breech appears to have a lower firing pin hole but no firing pin I can see. Also, I'm not having any luck Googling "single barrel 101". Anybody know anything about this particular gun?
Thx,
buck45
Naval aviator - Viet Nam
NRA Life & Benefactor

#2 ·
welcome buck.
a loose action is the result of a well shot out gun. when locked up, does the lever go past the 6 oclock position on the guns centerline? if so...its old iron.

many 101's came with 2 bbl options...an o&u and a trap single mated to the gun.
sounds to me maybe one of the bbls got lost or misplaced from the original gun.

#3 ·
Ahoy bobski,
Thx for the quick response. It's not the action that doesn't lock in tight; it's the forearm. I can pull it off with moderate pulling force. In the past I've had single barrel hunting shotguns that the forearm couldn't be pulled off without opening the latch lever. In this case the fore end latch lever isn't doing a very good job of latching. There are no obvious signs of breakage so I need the exploded view to verify if anything is missing or broken. I'd like to not take it to my gunsmith as he's really backed up and I've already dropped $350+ to upgrade my SX 1 with a Wright kit and Pachmeyer Decelerator pad and my beer budget is under fire.

FYI, the serial number dates it to 1967, it has nearly no signs of wear on the action, the action release lever is right of center and locks up like Fort Knox.

Naval aviator - Viet Nam
NRA Life & Benefactor

#4 ·
hey buck....sorry I missed that.
sounds like your latch needs a tweek. it could be worn or chipped. you need to fill out a MAF and send it to AIMD. lol.
btw...ive been shooting a stock sxm1 now for 30 years. I wouldn't bother with all that upgrade hype. itll work fine w/o it all...except for the newer buffers.

#5 ·
Figgered out the problem last nite. Seems the forearm latch lever has a small spring at the very end that actually locks it in place! A drop of lube and a few cycles to distribute and all is well.

While we're here, have you cured the spent shell ejection issue? I frequently get dirty looks when shooting to the left. I've been told there is a "shell deflector" available. True?

Naval aviator - Viet Nam
NRA Life & Benefactor

#8 ·
Thx for the pic. I was wondering where the band went. I have a few parachute rubber bands I use for the grip safety on my Para 16-40 Limited.

Naval aviator - Viet Nam
NRA life and Benefactor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.