Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a hard time trying to get the "right" mount that will fit on my Mossberg 500 12 ga 6 shot (with no extended mag). By looking at my own model, not sure if this is going to fit..I already ordered em but curious if anyone has used either or knows what will fit. I for sure want a mount in this area.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hard to tell without knowing how big/long the mount is. If memory serves, the barrel is 1" and the mag tube is slightly larger. You also need to know the length because there is not much space between the foreend and the heat shield mount so those usually don't fit on the mag tube in front of the foreend.

I went through that not too long ago and just didn't want to spend the $200+ for the Surefire forend. After trying a few cheap mounts that rattled loose after a few shots, I ended up mounting a Picatinny rail I had to the bottom of the foreend at the front and mounted a CA light holder and a G2 to the bottom. If you are interested I can post some pics.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go. Not tacticool by any means but neither am I. Basically, I had an old TDI AR-15 rail and a set of 1" Warne rings laying around so I just mounted the rail to the bottom of the handguard. If I were buying rings for this I would use Low rings and lower the profile a bit but I was using what I had. I started to use some Low Mark 4 rings I have but if I start using $120 rings I might as well buy the Surefire forend. If I have to take it apart for any reason I will probably replace the High rings with some EGW Lows I have but any decent set of rings will work. I put 30-40 magnum rounds to test as opposed to my old barrel clamps which fell off after about 5 rounds.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. I figured it would be too long for the short mag tube. Ran into that myself. You could cut a notch in the front of it and slide it around the heat shield mount. As long as you don't cut more than 1/4-1/2" it should be OK although you might have to lose one of the screws. Any more might weaken it too much.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct me if Im wrong...I thought the moss 500 5 shot was stuck with its stock mag tube, no extension available for it? damn
Right - you can replace the entire mag tube with an extended one but you'll need a new barrel as well, because the lug would have to be in a different spot.

I used the second mount you show for my Maverick, which uses the same mag tube and barrels as your Mossberg, and it fits fine. If you remove your heatshield, it should fit.

You can see it pretty well in this pic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts