Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see a lot of tactical shotguns, but for some reasons the remington 11/87 is rarely seen. i understand the semi shotguns are more expensive, and considered less reliable than the pumps, that helps explain why 870's are everywhere, as is mossberg, but even the semi shotguns like the benelli out number the remington 10-1.. what gives? i have a remington 11/87 police shotgun, with ghost ring sights, and love it, i want to buy a second, ot maybe even a remington 11/87 competition with chokes........ i like mine because its nice and short, its got a 6 round capacity in the tube, but its short and light.... who has one?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have owned several 1187s and 1100s and currently have an 1100 for trap shooting. But keep a pump (mossberg or 870) for HD. I like the 1100 platform but trust the pump action more, have had functioning problems with the 1100 in doubles trap shoots. Keep them clean and they will be OK but don't trust mine if shooting more than 100 round between cleanings.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People like to show off there $1000 dollar benellis. They're nice but damn they're expensive. I know they're the cats meow but I'll just wait to find one used for a few hundred someday. I got my 1100 with 2 barrels in newish condition for 350. Wouldn't mind having an 11-87 either.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After experience with both 11-87's and Benelli's...I'll take the Benelli.

It's not a money or show-off thing; it's the simple fact that the inertia-driven Benelli is a hades lot more reliable than the gas-driven Remington. My 11-87 would choke with low-recoil 00 buck, unless you replaced the collar...and then, if you didn't put the heavier collar in, it wouldn't function right with slugs.

My M1S90, however--I can mix a mag of light trap loads, buck (both standard and low-recoil), and magnum slugs...and it'll feed 'em all just the same.

Given, you can't hang a lot of tacticrap junk off the Benneli's receiver...but, really, that's mainly crap you don't need.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have owned several 1187s and 1100s and currently have an 1100 for trap shooting. But keep a pump (mossberg or 870) for HD. I like the 1100 platform but trust the pump action more, have had functioning problems with the 1100 in doubles trap shoots. Keep them clean and they will be OK but don't trust mine if shooting more than 100 round between cleanings.
I agree I had problems with "light loads" cycling in my 1100 and 11-87.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts