Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mossberg 500 with wood furniture. I like the look of wood, but the stock is kinda long for me. I was looking at tacti-cooling my shotgun so I was looking at the Blackhawk Knoxx stocks. My hesitation comes down to getting the recoil absorbing stock or not.
Blackhawk SpecOps Adjustable Length of Pull Recoil Reducing Buttstock Forend Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 590 590A1 835 12 Ga Synthetic Black
Blackhawk SpecOps Adjustable Length of Pull Stock Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 590 590A1 835 12 Ga Synthetic Black

There is a $50 difference in cost, $50 that could be spent on my next gun or ammo. I currently don't have a problem with the recoil, I've spent a couple long days with my shotgun and haven't been too sore yet. I'm looking for advice, bite the bullet and spend the extra money on the recoil absorbing stock, or go the cheaper route and put a pad on the back of it?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't have any experience with the recoil reducing Spec-ops stock so I can't really give you a comparison. I do however have the Spec-ops (non recoil reducing) stock on my Citadel LE and I can tell you that for 50 bucks you won't be disappointed with it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the non recoil reducing on on my 870. The recoil is manageable either way. My buddy has one with recoil reduction and it makes a difference but personally it felt like it was loose. Did not feel solid like I like my 12 ga. It felt like it caused more movement in the gun itself. With mine my follow up shots were faster and more accurate. But maybe with further shooting and practice it might get better. But for me the 50 bucks bought a tac light:)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the Blackhawk on my 500.... I have the ATI 6 position - non-recoil absorbing version. Didn't like the pad that came stock, and picked up their Scorpion Recoil Absorbing butt pad, and really like that.

IMO, I'd save the money on the stock and just buy a Limb-saver / ATI Scorpion or similar buttpad to reduce the felt impact. I paid I think $12 - $15 on Ebay... (or was it Amazon)...... definitely a good purchase instead of the extra $$ on the more pricey stock.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't waste your money on the recoil reducer.

And with the tang safety on the Mossberg, a stock with a pistol grip doesn't make sense.

I'd look at a Speedfeed or Hogue short stock.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't waste your money on the recoil reducer.

And with the tang safety on the Mossberg, a stock with a pistol grip doesn't make sense.

I'd look at a Speedfeed or Hogue short stock.
After looking around a bit more this is kinda the direction i'm going. Mossberg has a speed feed stock that looks kinda interesting too. I might try finding a short version of that......

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you like the wood stock, but its too long for you just cut it down. I did it to my 500 with wood stock on Saturday and got a Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad. It came out really good and looks pretty much like it came from the factory that way. I will echo what others have said about using a pistol grip style stock with the location of the safety on the mossberg...not a good fit together.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Blackhawk Spec Ops stock is somewhat crappy because after shooting so many full loads out of it, it will fail and when it does...it kinda prevents you have being able to fire the shotgun correctly.

Personally, I'd save up for a Mesa stock or a Kicklite stock

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the recoil reducing stock on my Maverick 88. the cross bolt safety is in the right location.
I really dont notice that much reduction with bird shot loads. full loads of 3" will probably do better. The stock only moves about 1/2" to 3/4" total.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts