Shotgun Forums banner

Where do you go from here?

769 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  oneounceload 
#1 ·
Got some young folks starting to shoot, they want to buy a entry level target gun. I am not trying to be bias but give me some ideas to pass along. Now this is been beat to death but all you have some good input, so let er rip what you think .

#2 ·
Male or Female? Same gun shared or a gun for each? Budget? O/U or semi? 12 or 20 gauge ? Skeet? Trap? Sporting Clays? Or all of them?........ If they answer most of them questions with "YES" and have a reasonable budget.... I would steer them to a Beretta A400 Excel 12 ga, with a 30" barrel. If the budget is limited an A300 might work. Mrs. One eye and I have an A400 and both of us shoot it pretty good. Just my thoughts and what worked for us.

#6 ·
FWIW, I suggest either the Beretta SP or Browning Citori. But, I’d also suggest that a used gun, or inexpensive new gun, is the best avenue for many new shooters. A new inexpensive gun that I’d suggest is the Beretta A300. The lower cost gun allows for more targets and shells. With the cost of shells being what they are having a few hundred extra dollars may be more advantageous than an O/U. It’s always a compromise in the end. Best of luck to the new shooters and thank you for getting someone new involved.

#7 ·
I have both the Browning Citori CXS (20 gauge) with thirty inch barrels and also the Cynergy CX with thirty inch barrels I picked up the Cynergy CX (12 gauge) for 1475 a couple years ago with the browning rebate at the time, great gun for sporting clay and trap. The CXS I use for sporting clay when I take the grand-kids on the course otherwise its my go to pheasant gun.

#8 ·
Too many unknown variables - what games; what's the budget? ; what's the volume? An <$1K gun might work for someone shooting a few boxes a month as opposed to someone shooting a few flats per week. Remember, with any regular shooting, the cost of the gun becomes minuscule quickly, so better to buy once, cry once. Several reasons why - resale down the road whether the person has lost interest or is upgrading; better reliability - a cheap gun that spends more time in the shop is no bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.