Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many moons ago you could bring up any ammo web site and find many different brands of .410 shells available in any quantity, at a fair price. Now, you look at the same listings, and practically everything is OOS! Where is all the .410? Is there really that many .410 owners out there? What's up with that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is a good question, I never see .410 shells at the big outdoor outfitters,{ Bass Pro shops etc.}. and any .410 reloading press is difficult to find, and how about .410 hulls and powder.??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the .410 in both shotguns and handguns has become a preferred home defense round for many people and this in turn has created a shortage and an increase of prices for .410 ammo, reloading equipment, and supplies.
I have MEC 600 JR presses for .410 bore, 12, and 20 gauges and use them to reload regular 2 1/2" and 3" hulls with various size birdshot for small game.
For home defense rounds I hand load 2 1/2" all brass shells in .410, 12, and 20 gauge with a variety of slugs and round balls.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Right now, the makers are focusing on metallic ammo with shotgun ammo finally starting to get some production time. At this time of year, hunting ammo and buckshot comes first; subgauge is down the list. When it comes back, be prepared for some sticker shock on the prices. With Remington Gun Clubs, which used to be available for $5 or less now running $11, 410s will be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
oneounceload said " be prepared for some sticker shock on the prices " Yes very true, I have had sticker all of 2021 ??
One store near me has Winchester AA 28 gauge sporting loads for sale. List price is now up to $13.99/box. They were asking $18.99/box This IS quail plantation country and the 28 and 410 are popular so I can imagine 410 ammo, if available, will be pricey as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
.410 loaded with unobtaium are astronomical price wise . Standard game loads 11/16's 7.5 $0.68 per shell #25 rounds .
.410 Turkey loads W/Tungsten $ 40.00 per #5 rounds . Some are around ,finding them is the catch of the day ,especially at a price you can live with . Shipping OUCH ,putting fuel in the vehicle OUCH ; Either way it's gonna SMART !.
Here's a Bad Joke on ME !. A friend asked Me in 2017 if I had any .410 shells ,as he was out and couldn't find any . I did have some ,so I gave him #5 boxes !.
Never bothered to replace the shells or even return the empty hulls !. Live and Learn :oops:

WINCHESTER AMMO 410 GAUGE 3 IN 3/4 OZ 7.5 SHOT DOUBLE X DIAMOND 10/BOX

Rio - Game Load 19 - .410 Gauge - #7.5 Shot - 3" - 11/16 oz - 1150 FPS - 25 Rounds

Federal 410 Bore - Top Gun - 2-1/2" - 1/2oz - #7-1/2 Shot - 1330 FPS - 25 Rounds | Steel City Ammo

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
I'm currently using a MEC 600 Jr. for .410 and have been for around 20+ years. I prefer progressive presses as a rule, but until recently I reloaded around 5 different hulls and found it was a major pain because of the differing lengths of the fired hulls. They varied up to around 1/8" from shortest to longest. This is easy to deal with using a 600 Jr, as you just don't pull the handle all the way down on final crimp on the longest hulls, and all the way down on the shorter ones, somewhere in between for the other hulls. You can't do that with my MEC 9000G or other progressive loaders I have.

I got my MEC set up for 3" shells and then bought the short kit for it that MEC sells. I can swap that out in a couple of minutes and go from loading 2-1/2" shells to 3" shells, which is convenient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm currently using a MEC 600 Jr. for .410 and have been for around 20+ years. I prefer progressive presses as a rule, but until recently I reloaded around 5 different hulls and found it was a major pain because of the differing lengths of the fired hulls. They varied up to around 1/8" from shortest to longest. This is easy to deal with using a 600 Jr, as you just don't pull the handle all the way down on final crimp on the longest hulls, and all the way down on the shorter ones, somewhere in between for the other hulls. You can't do that with my MEC 9000G or other progressive loaders I have.

I got my MEC set up for 3" shells and then bought the short kit for it that MEC sells. I can swap that out in a couple of minutes and go from loading 2-1/2" shells to 3" shells, which is convenient.
Thanks for the heads up on the MEC, I was wondering how easy it was to switch between 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells.
Do you recommend getting the MEC set up for 2 3/4 or 3 inch as the first machine? I use more 2 3/4 inch shells, because I have an old Iver Johnson single shot chambered for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
If you're ever going to load 3" shells, I'd get it set up for those if possible. Otherwise, you may have to do more fiddling with the adjustments than you would if you got it set up for 2-1/2" hulls.

That's why I got the 3" when I first bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts