Shotgun Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I use 00 Buck and slugs, one shell slug one shell 00 buck etc all the way down the tube so if I can make a more accurate shot I have the option or if I need to spray and pray i have that option also !!!, If that don't stop the bad guy than I am in trouble !!!

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I use 00 Buck and slugs, one shell slug one shell 00 buck etc all the way down the tube so if I can make a more accurate shot I have the option or if I need to spray and pray i have that option also !!!, If that don't stop the bad guy than I am in trouble !!!
I am fairly certain I have mentioned it in this thread already, but a shotgun does not allow for 'spray and pray'. While there is no set in stone rule for how much spread your pattern will have at X number of yards, most folks estimate 1" spread for every 1 yard from an 18" cylinder bore. There are too many variables (the gun, the shot, the way the shot is loaded/wad, the forcing cone, etc). The only way to predict what a particular load will do from a particular gun is to pattern it at various ranges. It is possible that with some loads you will get performance similar to what you should expect from a modified choke out of a cylinder choke. A large portion of it depends on the gun itself.

For example: If you have a cylinder bore/choke, and you're getting good patterns close in with 8 shot, but you're going bird hunting and expect to have to take shots around 40~50yds then you might consider switching to a higher quality (with harder, more round shot) loading. You might also want to switch to 7 - 1/2 shot. Generally the larger the shot the better it will pattern for you.

Like I said though: Each gun is different. The only way to predict what a particular load will do from a particular gun is to pattern it at various ranges.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Proper HD loads

Hey all,

New member here.. Great site ..Great thread.
I think alot of variables go into this decision and all are as personal as what kind of undies you like lol. Dwelling type, Number of occupants, proficiency with weapons all just a few.

The big two here alot of people are missing I think are the average distance of a lethal engagement. The average distance to my knowledge is what about 7 yards? I think another is do you keep a hot chamber or not.

I for 1 would run like a fish in prison who dropped the soap in a shower room filled with AB's if I heard a round being chambered into a SG. If for some reason I didn't a face full of #4 Buck and 2 feet of flames out of an 18 and a half inch HD weapon at a close range would drastically change my intentions.

I think having a shot-shell carrier with heavier loads and 5 rounds of #4 are good for my personal use.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Like some have said here...I believe home situation and weapon has a ton to do with what kind of shell you use.

I have a FN TPS with a built in choke for buckshot. I also sleep upstairs in a finished attic, my only daughter's room is also in the attic. There is only one point of entry which we keep locked. The door only opens outwards (inward just hits some stairs) so the intruder would actually have to destroy the door to get in. I have a distinct tactical advantage having a nice place to line up myself for a self defense situation.

With that said...I keep my shotgun loaded with Hornady TAP 00 buck. It has a very nice group at 10-12'.

Here's some tests I did with my TPS and at 12'.

1 shot of Federal Vital Shok 00 buck:

2 shots Winchester "military surplus" 00 buck:

2 shots Hornady TAP 00 buck:

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I am fairly certain I have mentioned it in this thread already, but a shotgun does not allow for 'spray and pray'. While there is no set in stone rule for how much spread your pattern will have at X number of yards, most folks estimate 1" spread for every 1 yard from an 18" cylinder bore. There are too many variables (the gun, the shot, the way the shot is loaded/wad, the forcing cone, etc). The only way to predict what a particular load will do from a particular gun is to pattern it at various ranges. It is possible that with some loads you will get performance similar to what you should expect from a modified choke out of a cylinder choke. A large portion of it depends on the gun itself.

For example: If you have a cylinder bore/choke, and you're getting good patterns close in with 8 shot, but you're going bird hunting and expect to have to take shots around 40~50yds then you might consider switching to a higher quality (with harder, more round shot) loading. You might also want to switch to 7 - 1/2 shot. Generally the larger the shot the better it will pattern for you.

Like I said though: Each gun is different. The only way to predict what a particular load will do from a particular gun is to pattern it at various ranges.
Like some have said here...I believe home situation and weapon has a ton to do with what kind of shell you use.

I have a FN TPS with a built in choke for buckshot. I also sleep upstairs in a finished attic, my only daughter's room is also in the attic. There is only one point of entry which we keep locked. The door only opens outwards (inward just hits some stairs) so the intruder would actually have to destroy the door to get in. I have a distinct tactical advantage having a nice place to line up myself for a self defense situation.

With that said...I keep my shotgun loaded with Hornady TAP 00 buck. It has a very nice group at 10-12'.

Here's some tests I did with my TPS and at 12'.

1 shot of Federal Vital Shok 00 buck:

2 shots Winchester "military surplus" 00 buck:

2 shots Hornady TAP 00 buck:
These two posts pretty much debunk the "Spray and Pray" idea of a shot gun at home defense distances. AT 7 yards or less there just isn't enough time for the shot pattern to spread enough for "Spray and Pray" to be a realistic idea. At 50 yards, perhaps, but not at 7 yards.

The big advantages of the shotgun for home defense is, better accuracy, more powerful load, multiple hits incapacitate faster and nine .33 caliber lead balls hitting a torso at one time will probably incapacitate a bad guy much faster than a couple pistol rounds.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
These two posts pretty much debunk the "Spray and Pray" idea of a shot gun at home defense distances. AT 7 yards or less there just isn't enough time for the shot pattern to spread enough for "Spray and Pray" to be a realistic idea. At 50 yards, perhaps, but not at 7 yards.

The big advantages of the shotgun for home defense is, better accuracy, more powerful load, multiple hits incapacitate faster and nine .33 caliber lead balls hitting a torso at one time will probably incapacitate a bad guy much faster than a couple pistol rounds.
I agree...the major difference was the "buffered" Federal and the TAP. As you can see, the federal, although buffered, had a pretty large spread (a.k.a buffered my ass). Personally, I don't care for this much, the Federal is also copper plated, another thing I don't like for home use.

I prefer the tight and devastating group the Hornady provided. I train with my shotgun as to learn to effectively use it in a defense situation, I'm sure in a fight or flight situation the reality will be different but it helps. I'm not relying on it to cover a large area...I'm counting on it to place 9 pellets in a 2-3" area per shell (thus the practice). With a 7 round capacity, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to land at least one of them. Like you stated, powerful delivery is why I wanted to go with a shotgun.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Supposedly, the 5.56 is actually not as bad as most of us would think for HD. From what I've read, it seems to start tumbling quite a bit after whatever it hits first, and so sheds energy fairly quickly. buckshot actually has a tendency to keep going. Bad news is if you COMPLETELY miss everything... then I'd definitely be more worried as the 5.56 is going to have more range in the open than a load of buckshot.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.