Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mossberg 500 that was my dad's shotgun. It's not modded in any way, is in decent shape. It's chambered in 3" magnum, has an open choke smooth barrel on it, and a bead sight. I was thinking about putting shorter barrel on it, and an extended mag tube. Making it one of those cool blacktical shotguns everybody likes. I would like to be able to return it to original condition some day if I like, but that seems highly doable. I dunno, half of me wants to leave it as is, because it was one of the first shotguns I ever shot, and the other half wants to make a blacktical shotgun. The wooden stock's finish is clouded where the hand touches it, but not badly. So, to blacktical, or leave it alone?:?:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot it.

I have a mossberg 835 in stock condition that I have done quite a bit of shooting with (Skeet, trap, hunting geese, turkeys, deer, rabbits) and an 870 that I "tacticooled" that I never shoot.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not possible to put an extended tube on a M500 unless you replace the original mag tube with an extended length one...which means you'd also have to get a different barrel. Look at how the M500's barrel screw attaches, and you'll understand why.

Just buy a shorter barrel for it, and leave it as is...it'll do just fine as a tactical.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could just buy tactical stock, forend, and a shorter barrel. Save the original wood and barrel and it will be easy to restore if you want. I have a 500 and think it is a very nice shotgun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with the tang safety, I'd stay away from a pistol grip stock on the gun as it makes the safety hard to manipulate.

find an 18 1/2" barrel for it, maybe put a tritium front bead on it.

it's about all you really need. Mine's in walnut stocks with a short barrel and meprolight front bead for it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with the tang safety, I'd stay away from a pistol grip stock on the gun as it makes the safety hard to manipulate.

find an 18 1/2" barrel for it, maybe put a tritium front bead on it.

it's about all you really need. Mine's in walnut stocks with a short barrel and meprolight front bead for it.
+1. either that or leave it alone completely.

the safety position is also why i love my mav 88.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I meant is replace barrel and mag tube.

Not possible to put an extended tube on a M500 unless you replace the original mag tube with an extended length one...which means you'd also have to get a different barrel. Look at how the M500's barrel screw attaches, and you'll understand why.

Just buy a shorter barrel for it, and leave it as is...it'll do just fine as a tactical.

That was what I meant, buy a short barrel and a longer mag tube for it. If I'm going to mess with it at all, that's what I'll do. Either all out blacktical, or leave it alone. One thing I would like is a barrel with rifle type sights on it instead of a bead.

This is what I was talking about, anybody else make something like this?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25124/Product/MOSSBERG-500-HIGH-CAPACITY-SHOTGUN-KIT

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 590 that I bought from a friend and he got his with a pistol grip and no stock with a foregrip and heat shield. For some reason, it just feels heavy.

That aside, I want to get a pistol grip plus stock for this and I'd like some suggestions

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to go with a cheapo ATI stock.

I have a 590 that I bought from a friend and he got his with a pistol grip and no stock with a foregrip and heat shield. For some reason, it just feels heavy.

That aside, I want to get a pistol grip plus stock for this and I'd like some suggestions
I was going to go with one of these stocks, it's cheap, so if I decide I don't like the pistol grip, no biggie. I can see how it would make the safety hard to operate. On a mossberg, you don't need to use the spacer thing they include, which looks kinda cheesy.

Shotgun pistol Grip buttstock

I don't like the looks of the forearm in the set, so I was going to get this.

ATI's Mossberg Pump Forend

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the idea of a foregrip, but I don't like the placement of it. I was thinking of getting a forend with rails on it so I can add any type of foregrip I want and add a better flashlight placement. The one that was given to me uses up a space on the side saddle

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is one of my other shotguns...

It's a beat up old 870 wingmaster that I chopped and added a few accesories.

It holds a whopping one more round than the Mossberg that I pictured.

I'd just get a shorter barrel and call it good. A good way to get rifle sights and a short barrel is to find a cheap vent rib barrel, get it chopped to 18", and add some firesights to it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is one of my other shotguns...

It's a beat up old 870 wingmaster that I chopped and added a few accesories.

It holds a whopping one more round than the Mossberg that I pictured.

I'd just get a shorter barrel and call it good. A good way to get rifle sights and a short barrel is to find a cheap vent rib barrel, get it chopped to 18", and add some firesights to it.
I'd say do something like this to it.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shorten the barrel (or get a shorter barrel), maybe or maybe bot get a longer mag tube, but leave the stock wood on it.

That wood looks awesome..

When and if I get an HD shotty, it will be this one.
870 police magnum with wood.
I like the Mossberg but don't like the tang safety.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks--actually if I could find some 870P wood stocks, I'd replace the Wingmaster wood...there's a slight crack developing in the stock, and I prefer the shorter wood forend like the one you pictured.

Although, I did briefly dress it in Speedfeed kit...with the short-length buttstock, it did look mean...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 870P wood stocks are tough to find and they're very pricey when you do find them. I prefer the wood look and kept the 870 express stock and found a refinished police forend that matches pretty good. It's also got a 18.5" Remington smooth bore barrel and a Wilson Combat +2 extension. I like it a lot! The only other upgrades I may get are a Vang Comp safety and a better recoil pad.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I ordered the stuff from brownells.

Got the barrel/mag tube kit, stock, and forend from brownells. They didn't have the ATI forend I was looking at, but they had a choate, which looks the same from the pic. The pistol grip/thumbhole stock made my 870 so much easier to handle, I have to try it on the mossberg. If I don't like it, I can always put the wood back on. I was waiting for barrel/mag kit to be in stock, just in time for my birthday!

12 GAUGE SHOTGUN FIBERGLASS PISTOL-GRIP FORENDS - Brownells

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ATI stuff is good. The folding ATI grip with shell holder is good option, but I would have done Blackhawk compensating Collapsable tactical grip and a shorter barrell and run a 6 shell holder on the side. Love Mossy 500s

1 - 20 of 48 Posts