Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you keep a shotgun for home defense, what shot size do you keep in it? At one time, I kept mine loaded with 00 buckshot, 9 pellets in a 2 3/4" shell. After conducting some penetration tests, I find that 00 has too much penetration for use in the house. My shotgun is now loaded with 1 oz of soft #4 shot, and a cylinder choke. This gives me about a 12" spread at 20'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try some #4 buck, #4 shot isn't really the greatest choice for two legged critters.

OO buck and #4 buck is mostly what I keep loaded for HD, also have some OOO buck (8 pellet 2.75") loads.

Try some #1 buck also, that's a great size. The larger the pellet, the more it will penetrate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Federal 00 Buck with Flight Control wad.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hornady 00 Buck Critical Defense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I ran a shotgun for defense, it would be whatever low-recoil 00 or #1 buck that worked best in my shotgun.

Birdshot is for creatures with feathers and mammals weighing less than ten pounds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
12 pellet Sellier and Bellot 00 buckshot

#4 buck does not penetrate deep enough. #4 shot is for pheasants, not aggressive, dangerous men

If wall penetration is an issue then go with the Federal magnum 41 pellet #4 buckshot and aim at the neck/head area. It will still penetrate several sheetrock walls..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I alternate #8 birdshot with PDX-1 shells. If the threat isn't neutralized with the bird shot the slug + 3 pellets of 00 buck will.

Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts