Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a shotgun for recreational shooting and as a frugal (cheap and/or broke) person one of my Air max primary concerns is the cost of ammo. I don't care for any special kind, just generally the cheapest for basic buckshot and slugs. Thank you.:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have all 12 gauge. However, these days you will notice that much of the 12 gauge shelves are empty, but there are plenty of 20 gauge at my local Walmart. If availability factors into you decision, you may want to consider a 20 gauge. Plenty of power to take down and deer and many people use 20 gauge for skeet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Despite more powder and shot, 12s are actually a bit cheaper, especially if you try to match ounces of shot in a 12 with ounces of shot in a 20. For instance, the standard HV load of 1 1/4 oz of shot in a 2 3/4" 12 can only be duplicated by going to the more expensive 20 gauge 3" shell.

·
Registered
47 Posts
12 or 20. Really no difference between the two.

16's, 28's and .410's can get pricey.
This has been my experience too, plus 12 and 20 generally have greater options and availability.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
but he asked for buckshot or slug...which are all 1.00+ a shot these days...if you can find them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck finding buckshot and slugs, but you can get a box of 100 Winchester light 8 12 gauge target loads for about $25 at Wally World

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have an Academy close by - I stopped there yesterday and bought some #3 buck for my 20 gauge... it was $4.79 for 5. The Sports Authority down the street had them too, but were a little higher. The Walmart nearest me had both 12 and 20 gauge slugs this morning for the same price, but I don't shoot slugs, so I didn't pay any attention to what they went for. They also had the Federal target loads in both 12 and 20 gauge for around $26 for 100.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At $1 a bang I started reloading my own 20 ga buckshot loads for general range blasting. I also picked up a Lee buckshot mold and cast my own buckshot for them. That makes for some economical range blasting and fun.:)
Cary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts