Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first shotgun. It is a 12ga Remington Express Home Defense. Was on sale for $280 but had an extra $15 off for opening up a Cabela's credit card. Ha I can see myself getting into trouble with that one.

Now for alterations which I think I'll need. The stock is too long for my short arms so I'll be switching it out with Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable Stock. I will definitely need a light set up just not sure which one yet (Surefire forend is too expensive). Finally I think I'll get the mag tube extension. I know I need to get rid of the dimples first. That should be it. :D

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As for the mag extension... Should I go and get the dimples removed by a gunsmith? I don't have tools or the confidence to take them off myself. Wonder if it'll be expensive.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's weird. Mine only says "Remington 870" on the receiver. There is no "Express" stamped anywhere except on the box. Did I get something else?
Doesn't matter. An 870 is an 870.

As for the mag extension... Should I go and get the dimples removed by a gunsmith? I don't have tools or the confidence to take them off myself. Wonder if it'll be expensive.
If you aren't confident in doing it yourself then yes. Just have a smith do it. It's pretty simple. But it would be cheaper to have a smith do it than to buy the tools needed anyway. Drill with 5/8 metal tamping bit I think. And a Drimmel tool to smooth the inside of the tube after you've drilled the holes. It is a very easy process.

Edit correction: 5/8 is way too big haha! It's actually 3/16

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up my first shotgun. It is a 12ga Remington Express Home Defense. :D
Congratulations!
I stopped at Cabela's in Dundee, MI yesterday and they didn'thave the Remington 870 Home Defense in stock. They guy knew what I was asking about because he showed me their sales flier. He took my name and number and said they would call me when they got them back in. I am curious if they really do call me back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts