Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about 26 degrees out..nice and sunny, no wind. So a buddy and I decided to shoot some trap. Just had a plastic thrower, box of clays, and a few boxes of shells...shooting on privately owned property.

Anyway, we had been shooting for a few minutes and my buddy had just shot his last shell. He tried to pump the action and he could not get it to eject the shell. He isnt weak, but he isnt very muscular either, so I decided to give it a try. It was as if the action was freezing up or something?

I finally figured out that if you slid the pump forward and then really put some force into the pump it would eject the shell and everything was fine. Just seemed weird to us that so much force would be required when it didnt require it before.

Kinda put me off on buying my own 870 in the future...:???:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had this problem once in my friends 870 and I asked around about it at a local shop and they said sometimes the gun will get finicky with ammo. It was Winchester if I remember correctly. I haven't had a single problem with my 870 though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't recall ever having this problem with my 870. A friend of mine just bought an 870 and he brought it to the range this weekend. Shooting the cheap federal and I don't think he ever had this problem either.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I got mine, it was bone dry and I didn't oil it:rolleyes:. I went to shoot it right away and that is when my problem occurred. Keep the thing oiled and it should perform better next time.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the brass on the hull over expanded in the chamber making for difficult extraction. It can happen, oil should help. Typically see that with reloads where someone has the load too hot.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened the first time I took mine out. Hadn't oiled it before I took it shooting. Hasn't happened since out of 500+ shells. I still use the cheap federal stuff also.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the brass on the hull over expanded in the chamber making for difficult extraction. It can happen, oil should help. Typically see that with reloads where someone has the load too hot.
+1 if the gun is otherwise clean. I've never seen a wingmaster do this but ive seen express guns do it with some regularity. My mossberg has always been consistent (always rougher than an 870 at it's smoothest, but there's never any sticking or forearm slipping out of my hand mid-way through pumping)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1- have had reloads and factory rounds expand to the point that they were dificult to extract.

An additional possibility could be a dirty chamber that has a buildup of plastic. When people clean shotgun barrels they use a bore brush/snake or whatever that fits the bore. Well, the chamber is larger than the bore and needs separate attention. You can use a bore brush 1 size larger than the gun (10ga for a 12ga gun) on a short handle and scrub the bore clean with solvent. I chuck the brush into a drill and slowly rotate it inside the chamber that has been coated in solvent to really clean it properly.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone pretty much covered the bases already. 870 Expresses are notorious for having... um... lets say not the best finish / polishing / fit. Sometimes the chamber does not like steel ends on shells. My 870 super mag occasionally does this w/ steel ended cheap field/target loads. I have never had an issue w/ brass-end shells.

Another thing sometimes that can bind the action is if you shell latches are buggered up a little if you don't rack the slide quickly they'll let out a round too early and that will jam up on the lifter. This is fairly unlikely.

ETA: For a solution if it is a gunked up / poor factory chamber, take some 0000 steel wool on a bore brush and give it a good spin on a drill to polish the chamber some. Don't go crazy with it. This fixes most peoples problems w/ sticking shells.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for not coming back in to answer questions. I thought I had subscribed to my own thread...guess not.

Funny thing is...Ive shot Federal out of the gun before without so much as a hiccup. I was using Winchester shells...which I had thought would be better than Federal. My buddy just snagged them because they came in a box of 100 and he had purchased a box of 90 clays. Allowed for some extra shooting here and there if we missed on the first shot.

I have yet to oil the gun mainly because it is pretty well oiled already. I know a fresh coat probably wouldnt hurt, but at this point Im going to agree with you guys and say its probably just the ammo. Hopefully we can get back out and shoot some more soon to verify.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar problem with my 870 and it turned out the nut that holds the foregrip on was a little bit loose. The metal rails were destroying the inside plastic of the foregrip since they were hitting at a weird angle every time I tried ejecting a shell. At least my problems seemed to have stopped after tightening it up.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't recall ever having this problem with my 870. A friend of mine just bought an 870 and he brought it to the range this weekend. Shooting the cheap federal and I don't think he ever had this problem either.
If you're friend didn't clean it and lube it after he bought it that might be the cause as well.

The friend I reference above did this before shooting it and didn't experience any issues. His was brand new, mine had just been shot a day or two before and his was a lot more dirty than mine was.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had the same issue, but only after running a bunch of shells thru it after shooting clays.

I just thought it was getting over heated with constant shooting. I had the 870 lubed and everything, so perhaps it's just the stuff mentioned here.

When it locked up on me, I just had to really rack the sucker hard to "un jam" it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a common problem with the Express shotguns manufactured in the last 6 years or so. Many of them have rough and or tight under size chambers. You can says it's the cheap shells but other shotguns don't have a problem with them sticking in the chamber. You could call Remington and they will tell you send it into a service center and their fix will be to polish the chamber. I would DIY and save some time and money.

I would try the steel wool first and see if that clears the problem up. If not you will probably have to get more aggressive and use a brake hone sold at auto parts stores or 600 grit sandpaper. I would stay out of the forcing cone with the hone and sandpaper.

Do some research on the net there is plenty of info on the subject.

GC

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly, Im chalking it up to the cold. We shot the rest of the Winchester ammo as well as some Federal and Remington and didnt have a single hiccup. The gun has never done it before (according to the owner) and it has yet to happen since. My guess is that the colder temperatures made the tolerances a bit too tight and shells werent being effected as much as the gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Happened to me once... It was when I first bought it. I didnt know anything about weapons and I asked a man at the gun counter to show me which rounds to use for my 870. Keep in mind I had just purchased it from him. He brought me back shells and said these will work. Cant recall what they were now but.

When I fired it I couldnt pump it. I took some force to get it to cock. I did this for the first 7 shots then went home.

Got home reread my shotgun manuals/ammo box. I was shooting to big of a round. That guy got my the wrong size. man I was pissed! Never did that again. I always triple check what goes in my weapons now...

Other than that its never happened to me...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got home reread my shotgun manuals/ammo box. I was shooting to big of a round. That guy got my the wrong size. man I was pissed! Never did that again. I always triple check what goes in my weapons now...
Most 870s have a 3" chamber and will fire up to 3" shells. If you would have fired 3.5" shells in it you and your shotgun wouldn't still be around.

GC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts