Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have one, its very comfortable and pretty darn accurate, the sights are nice too. It is a shorter shotgun because its a tactical which is nice but it only holds 4+1 3" rounds or 5+1 2 3/4" rounds. I like mine alot.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one too, and it's an incredible shotgun. The action is smooth, and the pattern is perfect for SD or shooting steel. I use mine in 3-gun matches and do pretty well with it. You have to be careful about short-stroking it the first 500 rounds or so, but it has been perfect since then.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anybody tried any of the +2 tube extensions made for one of the other Turkish made shotguns? I would love to 7 out of it for the meets.

FYI, I like my PA-459 so much I'm thinking about an SA-08 synthetic.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leave it to me to bring a dead post back to life, or at least try to. I actually googled for a review and sure enough a forum I'm already on pops up (awesome).

2 questions to the guys who own this shotgun (I'm a shotgun newbie, this would be my first purchase of a pump):

1. I thought when I checked it out the other day it said 2 3/4 on it yet online I keep seeing 3 inch chamber?...confused.

2. Not familiar with the choke and different sizes, names, etc. Only used a shotgun for deer hunting (slugs). The choke on this shotgun, can I shoot slug out of it? Or will I have to take the choke off first?

thanks guys

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never tried to chamber anything bigger than a 2.75.

The factory cylinder choke works with all types of shot, and rifled slugs. The pattern with 00 buck at 10 yds is usually a single hole out of mine, so I haven't felt the need for slugs except for the occasional requirement a 3 gun matches.

I want to have the stock shortened to a 12-12.5" LOP. The stock is long enough that it's hard to square up on it comfortably.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leave it to me to bring a dead post back to life, or at least try to. I actually googled for a review and sure enough a forum I'm already on pops up (awesome).

2 questions to the guys who own this shotgun (I'm a shotgun newbie, this would be my first purchase of a pump):

1. I thought when I checked it out the other day it said 2 3/4 on it yet online I keep seeing 3 inch chamber?...confused.
It can use a 2 3/4" round or a 3" round, I have fired both from mine and prefer the 2 3/4 round just because you can have more rounds in the gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I ended up picking it up. Excellent shotgun so far. I'm loving it. It is very comfortable to shoot. The pistol grip is awesome, very wide nice overmold. It is super light but doesn't hit any harder, good felt recoil.

Shot some buckshot through it right after I bought it so far that's it. I have pics of it's shot pattern I can post up later and a couple of the gun. Patterned well imo.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a box, but haven't had a chance to shoot it to see how they pattern. What's it look like?
Just the way the rounds come out in the picture, I shot a wheelbarrow at 7-8 yards and the grouping was about 12" round, the slug tore a oblong hole about 3" tall. They say the velocity of the rounds is rated at around 1150fps.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Weatherby PA-459 Digital TR

Weatherby PA-459 TR

Weatherby PA-08 TR

I guess I am traditionalist because I prefer the lines of the PA-08, which seems like a different design (two pin trigger group, hole in rear of bolt, different mag tube and cap, non-profiled release lever) It would also matter where the slide release and safety are located. I like where they are on my Winchester SXP Defender (release behind the trigger gaurd ala Mossberg), and the safety on the front of the trigger guard (at the trigger finger ready position). With the SXP I don't have to change my grip to operate either one. It looks like the Weatherby safety is on the rear of the trigger guard and the 459 release is in front of the trigger guard, neither of which I like as much.

I also wonder if I ever had to use a shotgun in home defence and then had to explain my actions in court, would an all out tactical shotgun look too "Rambo" to a jury. The PA-08 has a less menacing profile of a sporting gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the PA 459 last week. Initially I loved the weatherby name and I figured the product would be good.

The front sight came loose on the front of the barrel. I tried to tighten it and found the threads were buggered up. I broke two flat head tips trying to adjust the adjustment screw. So I wind up drilling it out and calling Weatherby.

No aftermarket parts right now that I can find.
The front sight and screw come together for 17.00 and are not available yet. I am first on the list to get one as they come in. No big problem. I take the sights off and use a red dot scope for now untile the parts come in.

I asked the lady at parts about another barrel. They are 211.00 each and are a restricted item. You must send the gun to Weatherby so they can check head clearance, then they give you an new barrel and your old one.
Not a good thing at all. I can see 2 weeks to a month down time. Shipping to California round trip and the barrel plus labor equals another gun almost.

I can imagine what happens if you buy a used barrel and install it yourself without having to check HEAD CLEARANCE.

I can see a serious issue here up the road. I have interchanged barrels so much on the Mossberg and Remington. Never a problem. Thanks Weatherby. You made me realize how great it is to be able to help myself and have some thing ready in one day to two. Such as a barrel change over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts