Shotgun Forums banner

Wall Hangers

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr.Tramp 
#1 ·
I have a spot above a wide door opening to our Family room and I am considering getting a "Wall Hanger".
Maybe something in a flintlock or just a nice inoperable piece similar.
Not sure if I want to buy a kit because that would probably entail buy more tools than I have on hand.
Any thouhts or suggestions ?

Reactions: Dr.Tramp
#2 ·
I'll tell you my story of where mine came from.

A good friend of mine bought a Hawken percussion rifle kit from somebody, I don't remember who. All the brass pieces were sand castings and they require a lot of work in smoothing and polishing. After working on the buttplate for a couple of months he gave up and stopped at my house on his way home and gave it to me with the stipulation that I showed it to him when I got it finished.

Took me around 3 months to do it as I wanted it perfect and I did around 12 coats of tung oil with sanding in between coats.

It used to hang over my fireplace in my old house, but I don't have a fireplace here, so it hangs over the alcove where the TV goes along with a tomahawk, possibles bag and a powder horn and patch knife that I made.

As it says in the movie Jeremiah Johnson, but damn, it was a Hawken.

#3 ·
Here are a couple of mine. The top one is a TC 50 caliber Hawken I built back in the early 80's. The bottom is an old Belgian made SXS from the early 1880's. It is absolutely in bad shape and might not have ever been a safe shotgun to shoot. lol

Gunbroker has a few for sale and of course prices are wide ranging. You might also google "wall hangers for sale" to see what pops up.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Line

#4 · (Edited)
I have an uncle's Iver Johnson 14mm single shot Champion shotgun for a wall hanger. It has a patent date of 1915 and is unsafe to shoot in its current condition plus finding low power 14mm shotgun ammo is next to impossible in the States though modern 14mm ammo is still available in Europe.
Gun Auction Free Gun Auctions & Guns For Sale at GunAuction.com is a good place to look for parts guns. Just plug in "parts gun" in the search and a number of different firearms in varying conditions come up.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Wood Tool Fashion accessory Metal Everyday carry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.