Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm familiar with pistol and rifle reloading but very new to shotshell reloading. I have a MEC Sizemaster in 12g that I'm looking forward to using once I can get primers. Yeah, started exactly at the wrong time in the market.

I'm looking to create a 12g 1-1/8oz ~1200fps load. There are lots of recipes out there, so I'm not looking for load data but am using AA HS (gray) hulls. I have lots of others too but this is the majority of my hull stash. I'm confused about all the wad types and their similar, yet different naming. As an example, I have Green Dot powder, and for the load I'm looking to cook up has some with WAA12, some with WAA12SL, WT12, DRA12, DRXL118. Finding hulls that are available for purchase is difficult, and the different, yet similar names are making it confusing.

I assume at this time that the '12' means 12 gauge. Not much of a cognitive leap here, but I have to start somewhere.
Are some of the trailing letters (i.e. WAA12R) referring to a color type of the wad (red), with all else being equal? Is this consistent, or depends on the manufacturer?
Are some of the trailing 'L' letters referring to a lighter load, meaning not the 1 1/8oz?

I understand there are clones out there (claybuster, downrange) that use a different naming than the original OEMs. I'm trying to figure out the lingo here and could use some help.

Thanks!

·
975 Posts
The clones say which wads they replace, so that makes clone use easy. The WAA12 R refers to color, but most importantly, it's the designation for a wad for a specific amount of shot. The WAA12 and the WT12 are ballistically identical but the WT12 is made to compete with cheaper wads. The explanations are extensive, so you need a good source for the info.

What you really need is a reloading handbook that has all of that information in one place. This one is a good one:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot that I have Ballistic Products Advantages Manual Shotshell Load Encyclopedia (edition 10.5). I'll give that a look. Thanks for your reply!

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Finding wads is the EASIEST part right now. Look at the data for Green Dot and the load you want to build with the primers and powder you have a DR wad is DownRange; CB is Claybuster - two clone making companies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts