Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Downers Grove Sportsmen’s Club, 4700 West Old Stage Road, Morris, IL, announces a Vintage Clay Target Tournament on Sunday Sept 26th, 2021. 815-941-1366. This is a celebration of old guns and old and new friends.
This is an all gauge event open to side by side and pump action shotguns. The tournament will consist of 100 targets divided into 25 targets each of Vintage Skeet, 5-Stand, Wobble Trap, and Sporting Clays.
First squads are off at 9:00 am, last squads off at 10:30 am
Skeet targets will be on a zero to 3 second delayed release with a low gun starting position. The remaining 75 targets (5 Stand, Wobble Trap and Sporting Clays) will be without delay and with gun pre-mounted if desired.
Participants must use the same gun for the entire program.
Sub-gauge tubes are allowed, but only one gauge may be used for the entire program. Changing choke tubes is allowed.
Maximum score with handicap will be 99, only natural straights will score as 100.
Ties will be reconciled by reverse score.
Shooters with autos and O/Us are invited to participate, but are not eligible for prizes.
Disputes must be brought to the attention of shoot management for a final decision. All
decisions by management are final.
Handicap system
12 gauge 0 targets / 100
16 gauge 3 targets / 100
20 gauge 5 targets / 100
28 gauge 7 targets / 100
410 bore 9 targets / 100
PRE-REGISTRATION: www.downersgrovesc.com/VintageShoot.php
Pre-registration (until Sept 23rd): $35.00
Registration on day of shoot: $40.00
Registration includes lunch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words. The shoot is small and just for fun, Prizes are usually shells and bragging rights for the next year. We're just a group of 40 to 60 shooters who gather to have a burger from the BBQ and appreciate doubles and high quality older guns. You'll see a lot of Model 12's and 37's mixed with Foxes and Webleys. If you're close, and can make it, you'll be welcomed. If you have some precious artifact from the shotgunning past that you want or need to part with bring them along. We swap more than just stories.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've shot in a lot of vintage skeet shoots with the low gun/delayed pull and they are a hoot - but that 4-format event sounds even better. That's a long way from Knoxville, though.....gotta look at a map.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Darn...going to have to pass, that's an 8+ hr drive into the worst traffic in the nation, according to a friend that lives in the area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are antique guns safe to shoot?

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Are antique guns safe to shoot?
The best thing to do is take them to a competent gunsmith and get him to check that they're safe prior to use.

There are a lot of people shooting antiques. Some shoot special low pressure loads, some shoot black powder and some shoot regular loads.

I shot skeet with a friend who was shooting black powder a while back and my job was to try to see through the smoke so we could tell if he hit the bird of not. Sometimes it wasn't easy to see if the bird was hit because of all the smoke.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you are in the area this Sunday, please stop by.
How about a year end update on your shoot..... sounds like a great time !
That was my old stomping grounds about 20 years ago

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One Eye,

The shoot went well with high gun being a 16 Gauge shooter with an 82 and earning bragging rights til next June along with 6 boxes of 12 gauge shells. We had over 30 shooters that had to put up with a clear blue sky, warm temperatures and my cooking. A lot of good doubles came out of the closet and two shooters bought their first side by sides just to shoot the event. (They might be up for sale now) All things considered we had a good times do we’ll be doing it again next summer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
One Eye,

The shoot went well with high gun being a 16 Gauge shooter with an 82 and earning bragging rights til next June along with 6 boxes of 12 gauge shells. We had over 30 shooters that had to put up with a clear blue sky, warm temperatures and my cooking. A lot of good doubles came out of the closet and two shooters bought their first side by sides just to shoot the event. (They might be up for sale now) All things considered we had a good times do we’ll be doing it again next summer.
Thanks for the update.... We are just entering our big shooting time here in FL with 2 day events every weekend at the Trap Fields and several shoots each week at our Sporting Clays Club.
Wish that ammo was more readily available so Mrs.One eye and I could shoot more often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts