Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some images. Please help with identification. I can't find anything about it in the blue book or on Google. It was my grandfathers or maybe even his dads. It's such a beautiful gun I'm surprised there's no information on it.
Thanks.

At the top between the barrels is written "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Nice Austrian shotgun. The abbreviated name on the rib is short for Oesterreich Waffenfabrik des Steyr, translated as Austrian Weaponsmaker Steyr. This was the forerunner of the current Steyr-Mannlicher firm. The NP/v proofmark is from the Vienna proofhouse and was in use from 1891 to 1928, it means that it was proofed for smokeless powder.
Since this has fluid steel barrels instead of Damascus/twist I would guess that it was made later in that period.
"Nicht fur Kugel" on the flats means 'not for ball', it was designed as a shotgun and has some choke.
It likely has short chambers, I would not shoot it until a competent double gunsmith checks it out.
You can likely get more info over at the German Gun Collectors site - try Welcome to the German Gun Collectors Association Website for Firearm History

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Second what RKB said. Beautiful gun by the way and I am guessing between 1900 and 1915 due to the hammered sidelock design used with fluid steel barrels.

To know the future is to be trapped by it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are some images. Please help with identification. I can't find anything about it in the blue book or on Google. It was my grandfathers or maybe even his dads. It's such a beautiful gun I'm surprised there's no information on it.
Thanks.

At the top between the barrels is written "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is the barrel length?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts