Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired a Ugartechea SxS as part of a trade (several guns for a car). I have zero experience with spanish guns and need more info to fairly price this. I've done what research I can but can not identify the model. I'm posting several pics with the hope that a member here can help.
Appreciate any info y'all have!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last few pics. I noticed a few things that may help identify the model. Things that seem different than most of the pics I saw on-line. One being the wings on the outside of the breach end of the barrels. Another is the safety, all of the other pics I found show the metal around the safety. On this gun you can only see the wood of the stock around it. The gun is a sidelock with case color metal, fully engraved. It has an articulated front trigger. The right barrel is choked to .716 inche and the left to .693. It has selective ejectors, meaning when opening the breach after firing only one barrel, only the fired shell will eject. On the barrels neer the proof marks, is a stamp "C1" which I believe means it was manufactured in 1957. The Serial number is 36989.

Again, any help from you experts in identifying the model or putting a value on this beautiful double gun would be great!

·
Registered
524 Posts
On the Shotgun World Spanish Forum there is a fellow named Kyrie that is about the last word on Spanish shotguns. This one is a keeper. Sidelock, chopper lump barrels, ejectors, side clips and the Purdey third fastener, nicely engraved, nice walnut, top of the line from one of the better makers of Eibar, Spain. The only thing that looks remotely out of place might be the recoil pad. In my book this is about as nice as Spanish doubles get, but check with the experts to be sure. A beauty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lovely old gun! If everything is correct as far as condition and wear, it is definitely a keeper! I agree with 4575wcf on the ventilated pad. IMO it should be a solid red or brown colored pad.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
On the Shotgun World Spanish Forum there is a fellow named Kyrie that is about the last word on Spanish shotguns. This one is a keeper. Sidelock, chopper lump barrels, ejectors, side clips and the Purdey third fastener, nicely engraved, nice walnut, top of the line from one of the better makers of Eibar, Spain. The only thing that looks remotely out of place might be the recoil pad. In my book this is about as nice as Spanish doubles get, but check with the experts to be sure. A beauty.
Don't forget gas vents and bushed strikers; this would be one of their top-end guns. And I agree about Kyrie; great source of info regarding Spanish doubles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents! The gun is solid, shoots nice. The wear from many days in the field is evident. You're right about the pad, I didn't provide a good pic of it but you can see a line about an inch from the butt where it was cut and a slice of wood was removed to shorten the LOP. I don't know why it was done that way.

I'll try to get in touch with Kyrie. I'm much more of a big game guy and got a few nice rifles in the trade, as much as I'd like to keep it, I need to sell this gun to recoup some of the cost.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You would not believe the guns that get recoil pads fitted. I was once in a shop when an original 28 gauge model 12 came in. The lady wanted it shorter and the gunsmith cut the stock off as instructed, but she would have had to pull a .45 on me. I never cut an original stock. I shoot them as they are, wear a padded bird vest, and let 'em buck. But then again I am average build and blessed to usually fit the factory stock pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.