Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my semi-annual doppler study on my Aorta, Common Iliac and Carotid this morning. My right Carotid surprisingly showed a significant narrowing. My Cardiovascular surgeon was surprised as past dopplers had not shown a significant narrowing before. It is possible that the sonogram technician just missed it before (it is in a very small part of the artery) or it is just a significant increase that cannot be easily explained. I show no symptoms, so that is good...but have to get it acted on sooner rather than later. I have had some blood pressure issues the last 8 months or so which is a big contributing factor for this type of vascular problem, but my Aorta, Iliac and Femoral showed NO increases. I had to have 3 Stents put into my Iliac's to correct some major blockages 1 1/2 years ago.

I am now tasked as to whether I should get an angiogram or a CT scan to determine where I go from here. Of course the surgeon wants to do and angiogram (that's what he does). Discussing with the Wife and waiting on picking my oldest Daughters brain (she is a surgical PA at a major hospital in NYC) on her thoughts. Depending on the results of further diagnostics, the alternative treatments are a Stent if close to the brain, or an open surgery and repair if lower in the neck.

My thinking is that my lack of shooting since the pandemic...i.e, (repeated recoil against that right shoulder) is what allowed the extra plaque build-up. :D :D

Joking aside, I was looking forward to getting back to the range soon as I get my 2nd vaccine on Tuesday....now it looks like several weeks no matter the outcome. Oh well.

Would appreciate y'all sending some good thoughts my way.

Joel

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Had my semi-annual doppler study on my Aorta, Common Iliac and Carotid this morning. My right Carotid surprisingly showed a significant narrowing. My Cardiovascular surgeon was surprised as past dopplers had not shown a significant narrowing before. It is possible that the sonogram technician just missed it before (it is in a very small part of the artery) or it is just a significant increase that cannot be easily explained. I show no symptoms, so that is good...but have to get it acted on sooner rather than later. I have had some blood pressure issues the last 8 months or so which is a big contributing factor for this type of vascular problem, but my Aorta, Iliac and Femoral showed NO increases. I had to have 3 Stents put into my Iliac's to correct some major blockages 1 1/2 years ago.

I am now tasked as to whether I should get an angiogram or a CT scan to determine where I go from here. Of course the surgeon wants to do and angiogram (that's what he does). Discussing with the Wife and waiting on picking my oldest Daughters brain (she is a surgical PA at a major hospital in NYC) on her thoughts. Depending on the results of further diagnostics, the alternative treatments are a Stent if close to the brain, or an open surgery and repair if lower in the neck.

My thinking is that my lack of shooting since the pandemic...i.e, (repeated recoil against that right shoulder) is what allowed the extra plaque build-up. :D :D

Joking aside, I was looking forward to getting back to the range soon as I get my 2nd vaccine on Tuesday....now it looks like several weeks no matter the outcome. Oh well.

Would appreciate y'all sending some good thoughts my way.

Joel
Good karma wishes coming your way, Joel.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Dang man, but that is hard news. This is another voice crying in the wilderness to get my aging rear end up and moving and doing. The Owyhee mountains are Chukar habitat, the Snake River is catfish habitat, but I am still working for awhile more and I don't get out much. I have decided to strap on the short barreled .45 Colt, and start out each day of retirement with an early morning walk before breakfasting at 5:00 AM. It is hard to go wrong with that and seems a doable plan. I am at 200 lbs again, and I feel my best at 165. Very best of luck with your condition.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Joel... A theologist once told me that the prayers of a man not familiar with praying were the prayers most earnest because they are the most sincere. I think I fit his description So you will be in my prayers for good health
A note to the Administrators and Super moderators : One of the good things I like/enjoy about this site is that not only do we share knowledge but we form friendships and bonds where we can share our personal thoughts and concerns. Thank you for making this site an outlet for those feelings. I liked the old format better but then again I liked rotary dial telephones also...... I guess I better learn to change with the times.

Reactions: jwsmith1959

·
Registered
452 Posts
One Eye--you nailed it. I have the advantage of being married 25 years to a wonderful Christian lady originally from Ukraine. Let us just say that she grew up where being a Christian is not so easy as here in the U.S. There is a cost and plenty of mean folks there who will see to it that you pay it. Everything I know about prayer I have learned from her, and I concur absolutely with what you have said. I attend church with her regularly because I agreed to do so, and I am all the better for it. Joel--I'll be praying right along with One Eye. The first time you post a picture you will get more attached to this new format. Much faster and less of an involved process, and probably more secure too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....it's decided (my choice) that I will get an Angiogram on the 29th. My Daughter was as luck would have it was working in the Cath Lab last week. She was able to pick the brains of some of NYC's finest Cardiovascular Surgeons. It's possible that the Doppler was a bit off and it's not as bad as it showed, but best to be careful and find out. It is an invasive surgery, but one considered pretty safe. If further corrections are needed, I'll trust the Surgeon. He absolutely fixed my legs two years ago...

I kinda like my brain and anything I can do to make sure it works correctly is a plus. :D

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Joel

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes. Had my Angiogram done yesterday and as expected, had a significant blockage at the junction of the inner/outer Right Carotid. Having to jump through the usual insurance hoops. Not critical, but needs to be done in the next month or so. Vascular surgeon will do an open neck procedure. Lasts longer and better overall.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
heck, i got plaque on my widow maker. im on borrowed time and statins! live life as every day is your last. im packed up, prayed up and ready to be picked up. make sure you are too.

Reactions: one eyed shooter

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heck, i got plaque on my widow maker. im on borrowed time and statins! live life as every day is your last. im packed up, prayed up and ready to be picked up. make sure you are too.
Gee....thanks for the uplifting message Bobski...lol

I'm hoping for some significant years ahead. Sorry that you are on "borrowed" time. BTW....FU.

Good luck and all the best!

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i guess im just trying to show youre not in the battle alone. life is short and can end with one beat.
so live life to its fullest and love those that deserve to be loved.
i am. and its why i enjoy holding meets at my place. i want to enjoy those that enjoy what i enjoy.....shotguns.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
fyi...im holding my18th shoot next week. covid or not...8 guys are braving it. should be a blast.

Reactions: oneounceload
1 - 16 of 16 Posts