Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to start doing what I haven't done since high school and miss very much. Hunting! Turkey season is starting soon and I'm looking to buy a 12 guage. Problem is I can't decide on a pump or auto loader. I've been looking at Remingtons, Mossbergs, and Stoegers. More parts usuallly means more problems so I'm leaning towards a pump. On the hand an autoloader would be ready to fire another round if needed. I also want to be able to do more than hunting turkey with it so a good all around 12 guage under $600 is a part of the quandry also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get a full camo pump in 3-3 1/2" chambering...I got a mossberg 535 turkey/waterfowl combo for $360. An autoloader is gonna run you twice that price and its gonna b heavier too. Good luck and happy hunting

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can get a Benelli Super Nova for a litttle over 400 bucks and it is one of the best shotguns I have owned for hunting. Extremely light felt recoil compared to an 870 which I also own. spare barrels are definately cheaper for an 870. Mossbergs as said are tried and true as well as the trusty 870. I've heard alot of quality stories about the 870's the past few years and from what I have saw on gunracks, The stories may have merrit. Check it out good before you buy. Don't discount the Ithaca model 37 as well. I have an original model 37 that to this day functions smooth as butter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
new to shot guns too

Get a full camo pump in 3-3 1/2" chambering...I got a mossberg 535 turkey/waterfowl combo for $360. An autoloader is gonna run you twice that price and its gonna b heavier too. Good luck and happy hunting
I just picked up a 535 with a 24 and a 28" barrel in camo. Plan on turkey hunting next month. Head shots, I'm told ???

Recommended barrel, shell to use. 3 or 3.5" and what load.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I also want to be able to do more than hunting turkey with it so a good all around 12 guage under $600 is a part of the quandry also.
Such as?????????????

Personally, I have no need for 3-1/2" retina-detaching boomer loads, but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
For a pump action, I'd consider a Remington Wing Master, or maybe one of the new Ithaca 37s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
24" barrel on a pump with an Indian creek choke, magnum blend 3.5" is a beast.... The 24" is easier to get in and out of tight areas, not as heavy..... I prefer the pump over a Semi due to less weight in those situations where a bird gets hung up...... Also like the pump due to getting full muzzle velocity due to energy not being used to cycle bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts