Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best shot size for trap? For skeet, I usually just buy whatever...7.5' 8, 8.5, 9.... I am now getting into reloading and I'm thinking bigger shot for the longer yardage shots would be better???????? By bigger shot, I mean 7 1/2
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just get whatever Walmart has on hand in the 100 packs, don't notice any difference.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
go 8's across the board.

Reactions: SkipD

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer #8's for trap at 16 yd line, #7.5 for Handicap, meat shoots, annies, etc and lastly #8.5 for skeet. I tried #9's for skeet but wasn't pleased with the results. JMO!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anything an 8 will do a 7 1/2 will do better .... that being said, #8 will handily break targets all the way back to the 27 yard line...... shoot what ever you have confidence in.
I use home-made shot for singles and doubles and magnum 7 1/2 for 25 yard handicap.
Choke up tight and look at the target.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This discussion come up a lot on the range. I have heard from some great shooters that expensive match grade shot is best. The way I look at it, shot-gun shooting is not a precision tool or instrument.
What does matter to me is placing shots downrange and building skill and confidence. For the amount of shooting I do, The Wal-mart Federals 100 round cases at 21 bucks work for me. 7.5.
I have never used match-grade shot because I get consistent hits with the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LoFlyer..... Like you, I buy the cheap stuff. And as long as I tend to stay around a given velocity range, I can't really tell the difference. Although I think I might get stronger breaks with 7.5s... I got into reloading so that I always have ammo. Ammo will NOT be the reason for me not to go to the range. I am about to run out of 8.5.. Then I have some #8 to go thru. Thinking about staying with #8 for skeet and going 7.5 with trap. Although I shoot cheap stuff, I have learned from my limited reloading experience, (500 rounds) that consistent ammo is definitely an advantage. I am currently loading for a velocity of about 1200 fps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts