Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My weekly handgun shooting group has been talking about this for a while, can you make 8 out of 10 body hits at 40 yards from a braced position using a handgun?

Well, we only had 25 yards, so I did it from there and I just leaned against the wall and didn't brace my hand or arm at all just to see what happened.

Also, I only shot 5 rounds.

The whole group clustered around to watch and I put 5 rounds in 3 inches in just under 6.5 seconds so I was faster than the 1.5 second/round time he took.

So extrapolating the data, I should get around a 5"~6" group at 40 yards perhaps a bit more with 10 shots. The dispersion of the rounds was all vertical, almost none horizontally, so that's something I'll be thinking about for a while, trying to figure out why. Also, 3 of the rounds were in the heart area and the other 2 were what opened it up, they were a bit higher.

I used a P365XRomeoZero which is a subcompact and I know I could do better with a full size like a P226, but that's not what I carry, so I shot with what I carry.

I'm happy with my proficiency but I'll keep practicing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Since I gave my Ruger P89DC to the SIL I don't have a 9mm anymore so I'll have to try it with my 45acp S&W 4566. It only holds 8 + 1 so I'll have to do a reload.
Might try it with my SA/DA revolvers too but again I'll have to reload.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have shot hundreds of FBI (RQC-Revolver Qualification Course) and (TRC-Tactical Revolver Course) runs. They were both 60 rounds timed. Any shots after the time limit did not count. A Possible (perfect score) were all K5 shots in the old TRC and RQC targets.

Outerwear Arm Shoulder Neck Sleeve

If I am remembering correctly the TRC started 6 shots at 60 yds. prone strong hand. 6 rounds 50 yds. standing barricade strong hand and 6 weak hand. 6 rounds kneeling strong hand barricade, 6 rounds strong hand over barricade and 6 rounds weak hand barricade (all kneeling). 6 rounds rapid fire 15 yards off hand. 6 rounds rapid fire 10 yards and 6 shots rapid fire 7 yds. and 6 shots rapid fire 3 yds.

The RQC was the same, but an additional 6 shots from 25 yds. standing with no barricade and no 60 yds. prone.

Back then I was shooting a S&W Model 10- 5" bull barrel. Model 15-4 inch. Model 19-6 inch. And a 28-6 inch.

I shot dozens of perfect (possible) scores using mainly 38 WC but many with the standard 158 gr. +P SWC. I also shot a number with the standard 125 gr. Winchester Silvertip in .357 and quite a few with ONLY head shots with both wadcutter and +P SWC. Could never pull that off with .357 though.

The range I worked at (and eventually ran) during HS and some years beyond qualified the Houston FBI office 8 times per year totaling 16-24 range days.

Interesting history of the guns of the FBI.

FBI Guns & Ammo: A History of the Bureau's Weapons - Pew Pew Tactical

·
Registered
180 Posts
"I shot a LOT back then"
Don't you wish you could afford to shoot like that today? Ammo and reloading components, especially primers,have gotten "very" expensive.
I like classic firearms and have 3 SA/DA revolvers; a 38spl S&W model 10-10 with a +P barrel, a 45acp 1917 Colt, and a 22cal H&R 9 shot 922. They're all fun to shoot. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts