Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a new shotgun owner as I recently just picked up a Maverick 88 8-shot security. I would like to extend the capabilities of the shotgun by utilizing choke tubes.

It appears my options are to either choke my currently barrel with tubes, buy the 28 inch 8 shot vent barrel, chop it, then choke that for tubes.

Now what I am wondering is if anyone with experience know the factory 20 inch bbl had enough wall thickness to thread for chokes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just hoping to have more options to the spread of whatever I choose to shoot at the time. Also I would like to see the groupings of slugs with chokes in my m88.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would think you could thread it, there doesn't appear to be a difference just because it's the 20". But I'm also a bit curious as to why. Chokes aren't a short-barrel option normally.

Might just call Mossberg and ask.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I was thinking the 18.5 and the 20 inch security barrels with the bead sights were more thin walled compared to the 18.5 with the iron sights installed.

I have emailed Mossberg in attempts to have them possibly custom make a 20 inch, vent, choked barrel for the 8 shot and still awaiting their reply.

I did however find a 20 inch vent rib barrel with chokes for the 6 shot, so another option would be to purchase that and find a gunsmith to silver solder the barrel lug to the 8 shot location.

I would have bought the shotgun with exactly what I wanted, but it appears they don't make shotguns like that. I am now thinking I should of bought a Remington 870, as it would of been less headache to get what I want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sell the Maverick and buy the 870. Probably cheaper that way anyway.

Jeff

Sent from my Droid. Spelling errors are the phone. Logic errors probably aren't...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts