Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of Barry & Eric's more interesting videos:

The poor man's slug
Also known as "Cut Slugs", these effective yet surprisingly simple alternative shotgun munitions were once used in the early 1900's when deer stopping loads were needed but not always available. You can turn a simple bird shot load into a man or game stopping "slug" with a quick turn of a knife.
Ammunition: Lost Arts pt. 1 - Cut Shells

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't watch the video but have seen a friend do it with a 20 gauge pump. Don't remember the details but that was the first and only time I seen it. Worked great.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut slugs work awesome! Tested them out at work (sssshhhhhhh) with our 870 Police. I'd rather shoot normal slugs. Those things nearly ripped me in half. And i enjoy shooting a nice slug.
Then I had the awesome idea of using a normal slug and cutting it. Not smart.... Although it did shatter a tree. hahaha

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize in advance. I'm new to shotguns. I had an 870 but didn't like it. Gave it to my girlfriend because she lives in a house alone (yes, she knows how to use it safely). I replaced it with a Mossberg 930 SPX. I LOVE it!

Can someone explain the what, how and why of a "cut slug"?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use some caution here! If you do this cut slug trick in a gun with a full choke or an extra full choke you may end up splitting the barrel and subject yourself to injury. How does it work? It lets the shell completely seperate at the cut line and that lets the shot and the case exit the barrel as a unit. You are adding the extra diameter of the shell caseing to the shot and increasing the pressure of the load into dangerous levels. Only an idiot would try it with his own shotgun! Those guys in the film are using wide open choked guns. Don't try this at home! :shock:

There is a reason why bullet manufactures do not promote this idea, it is for liability reasons when you injure yourself. and ruin your gun!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, I am surprised you did not include the rest of the disclaimer on this video in your post.

Here it is::oops:

"I do not personally know Barry and Eric, but I love their videos and they appear to know what they are doing, which is good because you could seriously hurt yourself or unintentionally hurt someone else if you DON'T know what you're doing.
That said, this post is for entertainment purposes only and it is NOT recommended that you try any of this".

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meh, I still don't quite understand how this works.
Hhmmm....The shot is enclosed by the plastic casing & the wad....It shoots out the barrel as a single unit...i.e., basically a plastic-jacketed bullet/projectile so-to-speak. It's not safe practice, but as the thread indicates it's a field-expedient improvisation done out of necessity, at one's own risk.--Patrice

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hhmmm....The shot is enclosed by the plastic casing & the wad....It shoots out the barrel as a single unit...i.e., basically a plastic-jacketed bullet/projectile so-to-speak. It's not safe practice, but as the thread indicates it's a field-expedient improvisation done out of necessity, at one's own risk.--Patrice
Ok, I get it. Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why would anyone need or want to do this now? Rifled slugs aren't very pricey these days...
This is true to some extent. But it's one of those "cause I can" sort of things. Why not? Like with any hobby... people want to do things themselves, save a few bucks, or try something new. Maybe (not always a good idea with firearms) break the rules a lil.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My father-in-law sent me this a while back. It was sent more as a home defense idea. I was pretty skeptical of doing this. Just doesn't seem wise to mess around with ammo like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts