Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here. The wad is making the shell bulge out towards the bottom, or the shot column shrunk. Is this not good? I’m basing this off of what I could find online from forums and manufacturers charts. 1oz steel BB with 22grs of WST ball powder smokeless. Winchester 2-3/4” AASH with Fiocchi RS-21 Wad
Wood Finger Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
141 Posts
As Oneounceload has said, you have a wad that is made for a hull with more internal capacity than the AAHS. The wad is literally jammed into the bottom section causing the bulge. It is also, undoubtedly causing higher pressures as it must prolong the time for the release of the wad from hull after the primer/powder ignite. That is a recipe for MUCH higher pressures!

Change to a different more suitable wad from a reliable loading table and STOP loading those.

For example: I don't see ANY 2 3/4 oz. loads using steel shot & the AAHS hull in the Alliant loading table.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

The same is true for Hodgon that only shows a limited number of loads with that hull, Universal powder and a BP wad.

Reloading Data Center

Sorry, to tell you this, but I would not even keep shooting the ones you already have loaded. I recommend you cut them open and salvage the components rather than shoot them. Be safe.

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
The Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook also shows a half dozen or so loads for the AA HS 2-3/4" hulls but not with the Fiocchi wad. As oyeme stated, take what you've got apart and get a different load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't shoot those either. Where did you find that recipe? I'd be interested in seeing it. I shoot at a club that is steel only and have been loading steel for years. The recipes we've found use slower burning powders than WST (Winchester Super Trap). I had a load tested myself by Precision Reloading and upon their suggestion used WSF (Winchester Super Field) which is slower than WST and easy to confuse because the abbreviation is just one letter different. It was a bad naming decision on Winchester's part. Super Trap and Super Field would have been better names. If you want, you can call Precision Reloading and have your load tested to be sure of the pressure before spending the time to take them all apart. It would be good for all of us to know.

What other powders have you got? Universal is a good one for steel. You'll find steel and lead recipes for Universal on the Hodgdon site. With Universal and WST for lighter lead loads you are set although I don't shoot anything requiring BB sized shot. Going for some geese?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like stated before. It is the wad causing it. Don't feel bad. I found a published recipe using a clay busters Federal 12S3 clone wad in a Remington STS hull. Reloaded 100 rounds and had exactly what you are showing. Luckily the next day was warm and 60 degrees so I went out and shot clays in my O/U until they were used. Reloaded the hulls after that with a clay busters Winchester WT12 clone wad, and the shells were perfect. No more bulge. I learned my lesson, regardless of published info I won't take a tapered hull and put a straight walled wad in it again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Drive-by poster who has not visited back here since the day he created this post.

There is a lot of data out there where tapered wads are indicated in straight wall hulls and visa-versa. I tell people all the time to stick to the proper wad for the hull they are loading and also, just because it's published does not make it a good load.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drive-by poster who has not visited back here since the day he created this post.

There is a lot of data out there where tapered wads are indicated in straight wall hulls and visa-versa. I tell people all the time to stick to the proper wad for the hull they are loading and also, just because it's published does not make it a good load.
I can't agree more. What's messed up though......I went on Hodgdon website to get load data. For a Remington STS hulls in 1 1\8 oz.....universal powder.....fed 209A.....and a Fed 12S3 wad.....WTF?
Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Line

1 - 8 of 8 Posts