Shotgun Forums banner

Taking A First Time Shooter Out Tomorrow

2K views 12 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
My 17 year old cousin has just got his first gun a 12ga and asked me to take him out to shoot it. Well to start his dad knows nothing about the outdoors let alone proper gun handling. I am excited about this I can remember my first time out I was really young but it might be different with Ben he's older I was nervous as heck to pull that trigger. I'll do my best to show him right and wrongs and I'll take some pictures,I am also going to take the XD45 for him to try out after he fires off a couple 3 1/2 slugs through that shotty hahaha. :) Wish me luck.

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I was gonna suggest some 3 1/2 shells, but I would have been kidding.

I guess it depends on how big or gung ho he is, but I would suggest some light target loads to start out with. Even if he is 17.

Just be aware that some people are more recoil sensitive than others.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Great time to share with him.

Teach him proper handling, muzzle control, and how to safely load and unload the firearm before he shoots it.

Also, he might want to watch you load and unload and also watch you shoot it first, just to see how much recoil it has or to expect.

Tight in the shoulder, lean forward or into it.

He'll do fine, and you will too.

Load the tube first with a couple slugs, then couple buckshot, and then bird shot last, so that he shoots the bird shot First, and progresses up to the slugs.

Have a Great time. :p

Stay Safe.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
my honest answer. get some low recoil, light loads. some 1 ounce or less, low velocity, AA or the like. Yea, it'll cost more than the bargain box value pack, but its really the best thing for a new shooter.
After a trip or two, you can introduce him to the value pack heavy, high velocity, run thru the dirtiest automatic stuff.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
my honest answer. get some low recoil, light loads. some 1 ounce or less, low velocity, AA or the like. Yea, it'll cost more than the bargain box value pack, but its really the best thing for a new shooter.
After a trip or two, you can introduce him to the value pack heavy, high velocity, run thru the dirtiest automatic stuff.
very good advise. When I read OP was thinking wow, first time shooter with a 12 gauge. Might want to start light work up to it. Being a 17 year old, macho will kick in but he may not expect the recoil, could turn him off. Heck OP's plan to let him shoot his 45 could be a better start than a 12 ga with full loads. Always make first time a pleasant experience, even if the beginner wants and thinks can go for it.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Yeah he's 6'2" about 250 so whatever I can dish out he's going to take it and laugh. So my browning with slug will kick the best it's really short and he will get a kick out of that and just maybe a little bruise on the shoulder. Thanks for the advice and as always SAFETY first "Guns Don't Kill People People Kill People"

Discussion starter · #8 ·
He did great even brought his little 12 year old brother but he was scared to shoot the 12ga but eventually did and LOVED it. The middle target is 00 Buck and all 10 BB's hit at like 20 yards or so.
Tree we had the targets on fell over from shooting it haha.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Looks like you all had a "Blast" (Pun intended).

Glad it went Good. How do they like firearms now? Did they both get to shoot the .45?

Glad you were able to take them out and introduce them to a Great sport.

Stay Safe.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Meh, I'm pretty sure every 17 year old guy is gonna be gung ho enough to shoot whatever you hand him. Be safe and have fun.
yea, he will be gung ho and tough enough to keep doing it today.
its tomorrow when his shoulder is purple and it hurts to move that he will start reconsidering if he wants to go a second time. going out the next time for a new shooter is as important as getting them to go the first time.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Yeah he's 6'2" about 250 so whatever I can dish out he's going to take it and laugh. So my browning with slug will kick the best it's really short and he will get a kick out of that and just maybe a little bruise on the shoulder. Thanks for the advice and as always SAFETY first "Guns Don't Kill People People Kill People"
Bull,

you nailed it on this one.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I left big Ben shoot the .45 but wasn't sure about the little brother,that gun is a handful and VERY dangerous. Yeah,well guess what kind of gun he had. It was a single shoot lol so that thing kicked like a mule but held a group awsome not bad for a walmart special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.