Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at tactical shotguns and it looks like there are a ton out there. I am looking for something for home defense, duty use and maybe even to try put some three gun stuff. Just trying to get some recommendations from the experts here.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i run a mossberg 500 stock right now. i wouldn't mind putting a pistol grip/stock combo on it in the future. it's a solid gun and i love it.

if you're looking for duty/three gun you probably want to look for an auto loader. i think there is a three gun category for pump shotguns though.

one last thing to think of if you're going to use it for HD. a gun that's tactical and kitted up with lights, lasers, sights, shell carriers, tube extensions, etc may not be the best choice for HD. i say that because in the unfortunate event you have to use it - while it is PERFECTLY legal to have a shotgun like that - a DA with a vendetta against guns may use that to try to get you in trouble.

a plain no frills/no mods shotgun will look a lot better in that situation. i'm all about exercising my rights. but sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remington 870P or a Mossberg 590. Ghost ring sights if you're going to compete with it, bead if not. I'd recommend self-luminous (tritium) sights either way.

Then, learn how to run it before you start hanging lasers, lights, dildoes, and kitchen sinks on it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO, if thinking of doing some 3-gun, I'd try a Mossberg 930. Shots are much softer and faster with a gas-operated semi-auto and my 930 hasn't failed me yet.

While a little hard to come by, the Jerry Miculek version is super sweet, has chromed internals (from what I've read), holds 8+1, and would be 3-gun ready. The price is pretty reasonable too.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=85119&mfg=Mossberg&mdl=930&cat=2&type=Shotgun&cal=12+Gauge&fin=&sit=

I went with the field/security combo and added a +3 extension for 7+1.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=85325&mfg=Mossberg&mdl=930&cat=2&type=Shotgun&cal=12+Gauge&fin=&sit=

The combo with the 18.5" barrel works, but I'd like to add the JM version one day. I use the 18.5" in matches and at home, but use the 28" for sporting clays/trap/etc.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I own a Remington 870 Tactical. It's the high end of the Express model. I paid $550 after tax through Dick's Sporting Goods(closest I could get one).

Features:
18.5" Barrel with breaching choke
2 round mag extension
Picatinny rail
Ghost Ring sights
Tactical Fore-end

I have owned this shotgun 3 months and put 300 rounds through it so far, I absolutely love it and I have it in my gun safe for home defense, my XDm is bedside and the shotgun is a few steps away. Any of my friends who have shot it are very impressed, and the only shotgun I would consider for home defense is a Mossberg 500, but it wouldn't be necessarily legal, I would saw the barrel.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at the FNH tactical police today. It looked pretty nice. Any thoughts in those? The lgs is asking 524.00 for it.
good gun its a winchester 1200/1300 design.

Its arguably the less respected of the 870, 500/590, 1200/1300, but it was good enough for the military.

is it just like this ?

FNH USA Tactical Police Shotgun

new ? If you can get that gun for $524 BUY IT!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the FNH SLP auto loader it is fantastic. I wouldn't buy a pump if you are thinking of using it for 3 gun. I bought mine thinking I was going to do 3 gun, but I've yet to make it to a match. It is kind of hard when the closest one (that I know of) is a 4 hour drive.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go with the Mossberg 500 or 590. You can pick one up for around 200-300 bucks on sale. The Mossys are pretty much on sale anywhere you go. Or if you really want to be cheap about it, get a Maverick 88 which is pretty much the same platform as a Mossberg 500 but half the price.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go with the Mossberg 500 or 590. You can pick one up for around 200-300 bucks on sale. The Mossys are pretty much on sale anywhere you go. Or if you really want to be cheap about it, get a Maverick 88 which is pretty much the same platform as a Mossberg 500 but half the price.
Not really worried about cheap. Looking more for reliable and combat effective

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd go with the one you found, that is a solid looking gun. If it was good enough for Military I'd definetly be looking at it. It has everything mine does plus a pistol grip/6 position recoil stock. That alone is another $120 for an 870. That is worthy of duty carry.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really worried about cheap. Looking more for reliable and combat effective
i have only ever shot them in leisurely clay shooting not competition but supposedly they are a fast pump Modern Firearms - Winchester 1300

I do not think moss or remington make a gun outfitted with the stock and sights like that for anywhere near that price.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts