Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for letting me join the club guys!!

My wife is somewhat gun shy and has for 30 years has been frightened of my guns. I kept them locked up tightly cause I had my kids friends in the house. Never worried about my kids but visiting 15 YO's with no experience frightened me.
I have presured the wife sufficiently to finally take her gun safety course and get over her fear. (I have to take it with her) I am planning on getting her an either O/U or side by side Stoeger but because she is just a little thing I'm thinking 20 guage.

I think a 20 guage with a flash light and ghost sight of some sort shooting 2 3/4 shells with number four buck or even a specialty load of some kind would be fine at the 10 yards max she could ever shoot in my house.

Help me out guys. I gotta drop the hammer on her Xmass gift VERY son so I would REALLY value some imput keeping in mind they still scare her.:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd recommend the 12ga with a reduced recoil load; in my experience, they will kick less than the heavy hunting loads you'll find for a 20 gauge.

Beyond that, though--I think the double defense is a good shotgun, very good for those who are not going to practice often with it, and will be more thancapable loaded with #4 buck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would recommend a pistol caliber carbine like an AR15 in 40 or 45.. near no recoil and good stopping power, lots of rounds on tap

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would recommend a pistol caliber carbine like an AR15 in 40 or 45.. near no recoil and good stopping power, lots of rounds on tap
Actually--in my direct experience, and with a 9mm--the PCC has more recoil than a comparable .223 in an AR carbine (both 10.5" SBR's). I would only think the .40 and .45 would be even greater.

Not only that, but a pistol caliber AR carbine is EXPENSIVE--a good one is easily 3-4 times what that Stoeger would run--and models in .40 and .45 are unusual, to say the least.

Add in a more complicated manual of arms...the Stoeger makes a lot more sense for someone who is not going to practice often with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe, additional problem with 5.56 is blast, flash and deafening noise

I would bever use a 2 shot gun of any sort for self defense

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe, additional problem with 5.56 is blast, flash and deafening noise

I would bever use a 2 shot gun of any sort for self defense
Perhaps--but just because you wouldn't use it, doesn't make it a bad choice for others.

Again, I think a good double barrel coach gun/double defense makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels--very little to go wrong, simple manual of arms, big medicine for little cost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would LOVE to have one, in either the over/under, or the side by side, or even better, both. And, I may even end up buying one of them, or both. As far as using one for self defense, if that was what was at hand at the time I needed something, that is what I would use.
Donnie D :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Perhaps--but just because you wouldn't use it, doesn't make it a bad choice for others.

Again, I think a good double barrel coach gun/double defense makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels--very little to go wrong, simple manual of arms, big medicine for little cost.
It's a poor choice tactically for anyone.. two shots? Say you miss the first one and it's a gang of 3 home invaders.. no firearms trainer would recommend a two shot gun in any caliber

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a poor choice tactically for anyone.. two shots? Say you miss the first one and it's a gang of 3 home invaders.. no firearms trainer would recommend a two shot gun in any caliber
That statement is demonstrably false.

Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch) has recommended them several times, for the same reasons I've given.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the question was 12 or 20 gauge. I think a 20 is plenty of stopping power but the problem is finding a good buckshot load. Get the 12 and used reduced recoil loads.

Another option might be an 870 pump.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah.

I'm willing to wager he's forgotten more on the subject of defensive firearms use than you will ever know.
I doubt it. As a young man my uncle (who was a heavy equipment operator and lived in a travel trailer) used to store his Winchester lever action collection under my bed. I have been a life long gunner, reloader, gun packer and shooter and am now 52

The Thunder Ranch guy also recommends the obsolete and hard-to-find-ammo-for 44 special revolver. Truth be told I never agreed much with the guy

Tell us which modern police agency or military uses a 2 shot shotgun? And also tell us why even back in the old west there were attempts to up the shotguns firepower to revolving 4 and 5 shot guns, and 4 barrel/tubes?

I'll tell you.. it's because more ammo on tap is better

·
Registered
20 Posts
I doubt it. As a young man my uncle (who was a heavy equipment operator and lived in a travel trailer) used to store his Winchester lever action collection under my bed. I have been a life long gunner, reloader, gun packer and shooter and am now 52

The Thunder Ranch guy also recommends the obsolete and hard-to-find-ammo-for 44 special revolver. Truth be told I never agreed much with the guy

Tell us which modern police agency or military uses a 2 shot shotgun? And also tell us why even back in the old west there were attempts to up the shotguns firepower to revolving 4 and 5 shot guns, and 4 barrel/tubes?

I'll tell you.. it's because more ammo on tap is better
Well, I'll take the word of someone who's actually been in gunfights, and survived, over someone's who's main claim of firearms experience is sleeping in the same room as them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts