Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this gun worth having? I`m looking for a cheap bird/truck gun. Seems like the supreme is a great value - it comes with both 20 and 12 gauge barrels, decent wood, and has the single trigger feature I prefer on coach guns.

What does everyone think? Worth the ~$450 or would I be better served with something else?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of this one, but probably wouldn't own it. I have heard they make fine shotties, but I second the price comment.

Stoeger Double Defense

Not for birds, obviously, but I think you'd be better served with mossy or an 870 with a longer barrel for what you are looking to use it for.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever fired a coach gun? They lose their novelty real fast IMHO
only when you make the mistake of pulling both triggers at one time.

I had a step dad that had one back in the mid 80s. I was fun to shoot, accurate enough, but I wouldn't get one unless it was for competition shooting. Like others said, 20" barrels are a bit short for wing shooting. they dont swing the same as a longer barrel. This could just be personal preference tho.
For a home defense gun, its a double barrel, there are better options.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha....speaking of both triggers at the same time.

this is what happens when you try it one handed.

the takedown lever can be a bitch as the gun's flying out of your hand.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what these guys are talking about; it makes a fine bird gun (not for englishmen obviously), rabbit gun, and it's a great all around shotgun. I use it as a bird gun and rarely miss a partridge on the wing. I also use it as a home defense shotgun and for shooting clay.

I bought the supreme because of the stainless receiver; I planned on using it a lot in the field and knew it would get wet. Mine has the two separate triggers. What's nice is mine has interchangeable chokes so I can regulate the pattern of my shot. For example when hunting Woodcock and Partridge in the fall when there's still leaves on the trees, I use an improved cylinder in the first barrel to shoot (right barrel), and a modified choke for the second shot. If someone felt that was too wide of a spread, it's just a simple task of putting in a full or extra full choke. I think it takes Winchester chokes, but I'm not positive.

I love my setup. I had to use some threadlocker on only a couple screws that came loose after much shooting, and it took a little breaking in before it broke open smooth everytime. I've put about 500 rounds through so far.

I do agree with everyone, DO NOT PULL BOTH TRIGGERS AT ONCE! I love recoil and like shooting 3" or 3 1/2" slugs out of other shotguns, but that's not recoil, it just sucks. Even with birdshot. I will never try it with buckshot or slugs on the Stoeger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts