Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I'll admit to not being the sharpest at gunsmithing, but mechanically I'm no slouch either. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the extractors on a Stevens 555. It's a one-piece wrap-around extractor that extracts both barrels at once, and it is not spring-loaded. There is one small indent on one side that looks to be some kind of pin, but I can't be certain and there is no opening on the other side to push it, nor does it seem to indent at all with a pin punch. Does anybody know how to do it? There's
a YouTube video idea in this for someone (me?)...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am not sure how that removes but I would try pushing in on the exposed pin while moving the extractor back and forth in its slot to see if there is an indented area for the pin to move into. I am sorry I can't be of more help but could not find a schematic of that gun anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to everyone who read and considered my question, and especially to oyeme for taking the time to investigate and reply. I decided to try e-mailing Savage Support about this and, kudos to them, they responded in a few hours with the answer. Here is what they said:

It is a pin, but its on the other side of the extractor. The pin sits in a little hole and helps hold the extractor in place. To remove the extractor, carefully lift the extractor on the side with the pin. You can use a small flat head screwdriver to carefully lift it up just enough to get the pin out of the hole, and then pull the extractor up the receiver. Once the pin clears the hole, you can slide the screw driver away. The extractor can bend if you lift too much or with too much force. To get it back on, just simply line it up and push it down. The pin will fall back home on its own.

I tried this and it worked just like suggested. I have attached a picture here to help clarify:

I hope this helps somebody else in the future. I have posted a YouTube video showing the entire removal and reinstallation (
).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts