Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have an older Stevens 311 20ga SxS that was my grandfathers. I don't know when the last time it was shot but one of the barrels has a small crack from the business end about 1/2 inch up the barrel. It has rust on it & the stock needs a good cleaning or maybe refinishing. My question does any have a ballpark figure on how much a gunsmith would charge to cut the barrel below the crack, remove the rust & clean/refinish the stock.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.
Thx in advance

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can remove most of the rust yourself with nothing more than 000 steel wool and gun oil.

But if it is deep pitted rust, the only thing that will remove that is blasting and refinishing it. But the extra fine steel wool being rubbed in a circular motion and oil works wonders on surface rust.

As for the cutting the barrel, I would think that Aimpro could shorten it Aimpro Tactical Mossberg Performance Shop , but depending on the barrel length, they may not be able to due to NFA restrictions.

The shortest shotgun barrel you can install on a shotgun is 18.0 inches.

Anything shorter than that, and it turns into a short barrel shotgun, which requires a $200 Tax, and without it, comes with the same penalty as owning an illegal machine gun ($10000 fine and/or 10 years in club fed).

Another feasible option for you may be to look around online at places like Numrich Gun Parts and the likes to see if you can find a replacement barrel altogether.

But owing several Stevens shotguns in various flavors myself, I'll let you know ahead of time that many of the replacement parts are as rare as golden goose eggs. You'll often need to resort to buying a whole gun on one of the auction sites to use for spare parts fix up your Grandpa's gun

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 16 ga with some of the same issues minus the crack. I just built it a case and mounted it on
The wall just like it was. It's more of a memento than anything

1 - 3 of 3 Posts