Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stevens Model 325 Double Barrel shotgun that I am trying to find parts for. Manufactured from 1905-1910, this brute is not exactly abundant with information. Anything someone might have would be very welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a Stevens Model 325 Double Barrel shotgun that I am trying to find parts for. Manufactured from 1905-1910, this brute is not exactly abundant with information. Anything someone might have would be very welcome, thanks!
This is the site that used to be Numrich. If they don't have it they may be able to point you in the right direction. Also eBay can be a source.

Good luck and all the best.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav/325-dbl-barrel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jwsmith1959, I have been finding some of the products from both of those supply chains, just curious if anyone had any other ideas also, very much appreciate you taking your time sir!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hope these links paste over and are helpful.

Lee's Gun Parts- Irving Texas - Lee's Gun Parts- Irving Texas

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota - https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/order.php

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Gun Parts, Kits & Accessories, Gun Stocks & Barrels, Military Gun: SARCO, Inc. - https://www.sarcoinc.com/

Hoosier Gun Works - Hoosier Gun Works

Western Gun Parts Home - WGP Home

About Gun Parts! ...Bob's Gun Parts. Top Page Commercial Super Site. - https://gun-parts.com/index.html/

http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/gunparts/swhome.htm

Wisner's Inc | Obsolete reproduction firearms manufacturer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outstanding! I will get to checking them all, again thank you for your help and wisdom, extremely appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was able to procure the majority of the parts needed to put this guy back together, now I am guessing on how some of it assembles, again not having a schematic or even a pic of the inside of an assembled action. I have found that the newly acquired firing pins that came from another 325 do not fit in mine, very frustrating, at the end of the day, this may be a wall hanger only. Any 325/335 action photo’s would be great!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey there Dhf8ka, I have a set of barrels 12 gauge from either a Stevens 225 hammer gun or a 325 hammerless. I think they might interchange, but the serial number indicates they are probably from a 225. I have not found a receiver for the 325, but should I tackle one sometime after the current LC Smith build is done, it will be the hammerless 325. Think about posting some pictures of your project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey 4575wcf, that sounds like a great project as well! Dropped a few pics of the on going headache, but I’m slowly finding some solid ground with it. I am having some issues with the replacement firing pins fitting (pictured with original broken ones), not sure what the issues are just yet, I’ve mike’d them and they’re dimensionally exact, the one thing I do notice is that these pins go in at an angle to the action frame, but the “pin hole” appears to be parallel with it, hence the need for some open action pics! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Interesting. Are you suggesting that the pins may need to be timed at a certain position to work at an angle and still protrude through a straight hole? That would explain the broken originals if they were installed 180 degrees out. Is there a bent profile to them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No sir, both pins are set straight without any angle, but it does not make sense that they will not “set” completely in place, they simply hit refusal with approx 3/16” to go.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The firing pin pictured at gunpartscorp for the 325 looks a bit different than the pins you have. You have been sure and removed any keeper pins or screws prior to installation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir, I removed both set screws on these pins, the first one took a little work getting out, but then came clean, the second screw had to be drilled to be relieved, then came out. The pins they show also say for a 225, not compatible with the 325 as far as I can determine due to the length of the actual pin head, and the locking ring does not accommodate for a much larger set screw, as is the case in the 325, of course that being said, I certainly could be mistaken. I took several pics with my bore camera to post, but it would not allow me to post them because a “security token was missing”, I’ll keep trying though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hang in there. I do not have either of these frames a 225, or a 325 on hand, but yes, I would say it is very likely you have gotten 225 parts, I think they would be the more common of the two.

Stevens changed the basic 225 hammer frame over to the 325 hammerless, they are easy to identify because they have provision for the wedge underlug, and the top rib extension lockup both. The firing pins would have to be changed, I would think, to go from an outside hammer to an internal hammer design. Have you access to a lathe to build 'em? The PC part of this business is the roughest, seems I can never get my picture posts storing where I can find them, or posting like I want them to,.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I took a closer look at Gunpartcorp site. I am pretty sure those pins are for a 335. Different frame, the lockup is different, the frame in your picture is a 325. According to Numrich the 225 and the 325 share a common firing pin. Out of stock, but unique looking and easy to spot on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m hanging in there 4575wcf, can’t thank you enough for your input and knowledge with this, certainly helps! I do have access to a lathe, just was trying to keep it all original built parts if possible, and honestly, I’m in no hurry so I will just take my time and see how it all unfolds, eventually it’s all bound to come together, one way or a lathe way! I’ll keep you posted on it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Okay Dhf8ka, I've got such a forceful personality I tend to get wound up on everybody's projects. I will watch for parts, if I see anything I will buzz you. So nice to meet another build enthusiast to talk guns with, I bore my wife senseless with all my techno stuff. Unless things change I have a Baker Batavia Special on deck behind the LC Smith. I bought it advertised as a Lefever Nitro Special, then later I noticed it was not a box lock, and had to figure out what it was. Another very cool American design to breath new life into, and a bit valuable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey I get it, I too tend to do the same as well.thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for me, much appreciated! Keep chugging along and keep us posted on all the projects!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey there Dhf8ka, I hope this post finds you in good health still fighting the good fight on the pre-311 Stevens doubles. I have ordered an early production 335 receiver, which I suspect shares some parts with the 325, being a transitional gun. The removal of the underlug bite on the barrel set, the change from monoblock to chopper lump barrel construction, and the introduction of the 311 style top snap lock up are all present. The receiver marking is changed from "patent applied for" to "patented March 19, 1907". This patent has to do with the floorplate actuating the cocking cams as near as I can tell, common between the models, and granted in 1909-subsequently the marking was changed. I will have this new baby in my hot little hands soon and we can begin sorting out some of this lost and burned up Stevens history, provided you are still on board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4575wcf,
Great to hear from you! Sounds like you got some interesting goods on the way! I’m definitely here with eye glasses and hearing aids on and open! Do keep me posted, it’s logical that being the timeframe, they certainly share some design? Looking forward to it, thanks again for reaching out!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am still short a barrel set, not being able to use the ones from the Model 225 that I have in inventory. They are monoblock constructed, 32 inches long, and have both wedge type rib extension and underlug lock up. I suspect this early 335 might take the present longer 225/325 extractor lever though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts