Shotgunforums.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have recently been gifted a shotgun. It is a Stephen Grant & Sons side by side 12 Gauge. It has been sat in a safe for a long time in Zimbabwe. If anyone could tell me more about it, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zimguide,

Grant was an Irishman who learned the trade in Ireland and moved to London in 1843. Go to the vintage gun journal for the complete story. It’s from January 2020. The journal is an English online publication. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zimguide,

It’s a sidelock 12 Bore, but can’t tell from the photos if it’s extractors or ejectors. The pics are a little blurry, but I think I read 2 1/2 inch chambers. I see bushed strikers and hand engraving. The little checkering I can see looks as if it’s held up well. Is there a bit of rust or corrosion on the gun or is the lighting poor? I can’t make that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, it looks like the right barrel is cylinder bore and the left half choke. Half choke approximates modified. You will need to measure them sometime. Also, it looks like the top lever is inscribed with the number 1. If so, that indicates your gun was part of a pair. There would have been another gun just like yours with 2 inscribed on its lever. Nice gift!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for this link..By this i believe my shotgun is from a London proof house 1925-1954.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the better pictures. It is a 2 1/2 inch chamber. There appears to be a light rust or corrosion in places. As you can guess, that can be cleaned up, but not aggressively. Protect the engraving.

Since I read your question I’ve seen three Grants for sale in the US. I noticed that the asking price for those guns in excellent condition varied between $7500 and $8000. None of them included a case or accessories.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, thank you for all the help. I am going to clean it up and use it at the gun club!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts