Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
They claim it causes moire damage.. I bet it does not pattern as well, though
I would think that too. But Winchester claims that it does. Won`t know till I try some.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
sounds like a passing fad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I remember reading years ago, probably in Jack O'Conners writings, that before the invention of the drop shot tower, shot was made by cutting thin wire. Needless to say it was expensive, and didn't fly very straight. I seem to remember reading of square shot being used in "spreader loads" designed to open up patterns in tight shoothing guns.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There is a precedent from the blunderbuss days. Lead sheets used in packaging were commonly cut into squares and rammed down the spout for hunting & protection.

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
There was some flat shot a few years back (maybe from LL Bean?) that was designed to act like a spreader load. Didn't last long as patterns really sucked.

Maybe someone can create shot that is dimpled like a golf ball for longer straighter flights????

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have read in older books of wire shot. I discounted the idea as a misprint or misinterpretation. Perhaps not.
No doubt there is room for improving S/G shot and patterns. For myself I am willing to accept a few holes in the pattern in favor of cheap ammo.
Quantity vs quality works for me!
Regards,
KenC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts