Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
The older brother and I started pass shooting starlings when we were still at home. We had an open equipment shed on the place with back windows where we could see them approaching, step out, and blast them. He has progressed with his starling shoots by studying their habits and laying for them. We usually get in a good shoot or two in the spring and summer when nothing else is open. Has anyone else tried this? Pass shooting those weaving, speeding targets really get you ready for bird season. I have just about got my new to me 12 gauge front loader ironed out now, I'll venture down and have a go with them this spring to get everything tuned up and working.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not predictable enough here to try it. Last year had several thousand show up in the timber between me and the river. One lawn mower trip to my goat pens and they took off and I never saw them again. I can imagine what one shotgun blast would do...lol

I have some come in periodically all the time. During our big freeze last week, our normal assortment of birds at one of my feeders multiplied 100 fold. It's funny, as when the snow melted, everything went back to normal (my normal assortment of wrens, chickadees, cardinals and wrens).

We also have quite a few Brown Headed Cowbirds which are similar enough to Starlings, I could see accidentally bagging one of them instead. They're protected, so would not be good.

Sounds like fun though. When I was in College many years ago, Memorial Stadium in Austin had a Pigeon problem. They used net cannons and all kinds of other thinks to trap them...they at one point hired some guys with .410's to come in and shoot them. Me and a buddy would have done that for free. :D

Good luck and all the best.

Joel

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are never going to exterminate the Starling with a shotgun. The birds are smart enough to hang around all day in easy range while you are working outside, unless you step out with an shotgun, in which case they are gone. I do not understand how they know, but they know. Setting up on a watering spot, or a roost in the evening is about the only way to get in decent shooting. My brother watches their patterns and spots such good assessible places. You do have to be careful with intermixed cowbirds and blackbirds, but the longer tail and slower, more looping flight pattern is the giveaway. Pigeon is delicious, I take them whenever I can while dove hunting here.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spring Starling Shoot update. I have been in contact with the older brother "The Starling Guru". The shoot has been postponed till early July, when, according to him, "they start to gather" whatever that means. He always knows what he is talking about, and that irritates me no end BTW. We have another common friend in his home town, a real character. He has encouraged me to present the brother with a "Starlingworth Grade" as a gag gift. You know an old Belgian wallhanger double, shot loose and in a deplorable condition. . . The idea has merit. : ). This gives me a bit more time to tend to the repairs to the muzzle-loading double and get it ready, and bless him, he did find me a few tins of percussion caps. No promises, but I will try to get a photographic record and maybe do a little write up. We do have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts