Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting wobble trap.

How does a deaf mute call for a bird using voice activated traps?

Nobody in the group had an answer so I figured maybe someone on the forum had seen a deaf mute shooting using these voice activated traps.

· Registered
666 Posts

Nobody in the group had an answer so I figured maybe someone on the forum had seen a deaf mute shooting using these voice activated traps.
I believe that most speech impaired people can make some sounds through their voice box.
And at our trap field any noise will launch a target. I have sneezed and launched doubles !

• Haha
Reactions: oneounceload

· Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At our field, it takes a pretty good loud sound. A sneeze won't do it.

I'm asking for me essentially. I'm not a deaf mute, but I only have 1-1/2 vocal cords due to cancer of the left vocal cord brought on by acid reflux disease in concert with sleeping on my left side. I can talk, no problem, but it's very quiet and raspy and it's impossible for me to yell.

I can usually make a loud enough sound to trip it, but sometimes it's almost impossible for me.

· Super Moderator
6,966 Posts

I'm asking for me essentially. I'm not a deaf mute, but I only have 1-1/2 vocal cords due to cancer of the left vocal cord brought on by acid reflux disease in concert with sleeping on my left side. I can talk, no problem, but it's very quiet and raspy and it's impossible for me to yell.

I can usually make a loud enough sound to trip it, but sometimes it's almost impossible for me.
Maybe have someone there make the sound for you? We had a guy who could barely speak due some similar malady, but he shot 5-stand and some skeet so all he had to do was nod his head to signal for the trapper to pull

· Registered
666 Posts

I only know how voice activated launchers work at one trap club so I can't say for sure, but it appears that there is a way to adjust the volume sensor. I can see where my original statement may have been seen as me making a joke BUT, that was not my intention. We were on the Trap Doubles Course, and I sneezed and out came both targets.
I would think that knowledgeable RSO or voice activation tech might be able answer the questions.

· Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all good one eyed shooter. I appreciate any and all input.

Here's the thing: We don't have any knowledgeable RSOs any more since we got a new Range Manager and we don't have any voice activation tech either. We're lucky we've got some people who know how to load birds on the trap.

I've been playing with this in my back yard...probably driving the neighbors nuts, and I've discovered something. If I say pull as loud as I can, I'm expelling a fairly large volume of air out of my mouth and that's what causes the vocal cords to shut down.

In playing around trying other words and sounds I came up with the word "UP". I can do a pretty loud version of it inhaling while I say the word and that might work.

In Skeet and Sporting Clays I don't have a problem at all as someone is manually pulling with a wireless transmitter and they can hear me well enough to know when to do it, but those Wobble Trap microphones just aren't up to it.

Something contributing to the problem, perhaps, is the wind we get at the Wobble Trap field. It's blowing pretty good most of the time and I'm wondering if the microphones detect that and essentially decrease their sensitivity so they don't accidentally trip from wind noise.

· Registered
666 Posts
It's all good one eyed shooter. I appreciate any and all input.

Here's the thing: We don't have any knowledgeable RSOs any more since we got a new Range Manager and we don't have any voice activation tech either. We're lucky we've got some people who know how to load birds on the trap.

I've been playing with this in my back yard...probably driving the neighbors nuts, and I've discovered something. If I say pull as loud as I can, I'm expelling a fairly large volume of air out of my mouth and that's what causes the vocal cords to shut down.

In playing around trying other words and sounds I came up with the word "UP". I can do a pretty loud version of it inhaling while I say the word and that might work.

In Skeet and Sporting Clays I don't have a problem at all as someone is manually pulling with a wireless transmitter and they can hear me well enough to know when to do it, but those Wobble Trap microphones just aren't up to it.

Something contributing to the problem, perhaps, is the wind we get at the Wobble Trap field. It's blowing pretty good most of the time and I'm wondering if the microphones detect that and essentially decrease their sensitivity, so they don't accidentally trip from wind noise.
It makes sense that if the wind is blowing, they would have to reduce the sensitivity of the microphones.
Now you got me thinking..... At our Sporting Clays club, we have a "delay" button on the transmitter which allows a lone shooter to activate the launches with about a 3-5 second delay. I wonder if something like that could be set up to override the voice activation. Another thought.. I have heard people shout all sorts of things when calling for a target on the Trap Field. Just like those folks that scream out "Mashed potatoes" when someone hits a drive at golf tournaments.
BTW that time delay on the transmitter at the SC's course is not a constant time. So, you press the "delay button" then the two target buttons, set down the transmitter and wait. Maybe 3 seconds, maybe 4 or maybe 5..6..7. Lots of fun when you don't know when the targets are going to fly. Imagine coupling that with Wobble Trap. Whee!!

· Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done the delay thing on skeet with some friends. You stand at station 4, low gun or high, your choice and the puller stands behind you and decides whether to throw High or Low houses and when, and the shooter has no idea about either of these.

Fun. In Wobble it would be extremely challenging.

Don't know about delay with wobble, though. There's a button at the base of the microphone, but it's just on/off as far as I know. I shoot with 4 or 5 other guys and we change stations after each shot so altering the mics doesn't seem like it's feasible but perhaps I'm missing something.

· Registered
666 Posts
I've done the delay thing on skeet with some friends. You stand at station 4, low gun or high, your choice and the puller stands behind you and decides whether to throw High or Low houses and when, and the shooter has no idea about either of these.

Fun. In Wobble it would be extremely challenging.

Don't know about delay with wobble, though. There's a button at the base of the microphone, but it's just on/off as far as I know. I shoot with 4 or 5 other guys and we change stations after each shot so altering the mics doesn't seem like it's feasible but perhaps I'm missing something.
I wonder if a person that was limited in speech could use something like the paratroopers in WWII did with those little
" Challenge clickers"? Maybe mounted to the stock with Velcro?

Reactions: Flash

· Registered
1 Posts

There is an electronic device you can wear that will pull for you. I beleve it has a timer so you can activate it and have time to ready yourself. We have an individual that uses one where i shoot here in AZ. Sorry, I don't know what is is called or the maker.

· Registered
2 Posts
The electronic release device sounds like a product from Clay Delay. (claydelay.com) They have several options, some with adjustable delay times that are activated by sound or button. You wear the control, so easy access. I have a basic unit with voice mic to shoot skeet by myself. It will also do trap. Never a problem.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've only recently once more become involved in the shooting sports. Thus far I've only shot at Redlands Shooting Park where at the trap ranges they've voice-activated microphones at each trap, skeet and sporting clays station. I can't speak to anything regarding their sensitivity settings, I can state with autoloaders the slamming of the action often throws a bird. I've an 1100 and have learned to turn away (barrel up) to about three o'clock and release the shell into the chamber as I rotate forward thus negating the premature release. One of the guys purposely stands extra close to the microphone stand and for chuckles from the low-position releases a shell into a Benelli autoloader which launches a bird. If you've an autoloader or pump perhaps standing close to the microphone, shouldering then working a shell into the chamber could prove a workable solution.

· Registered
666 Posts
I've only recently once more become involved in the shooting sports. Thus far I've only shot at Redlands Shooting Park where at the trap ranges they've voice-activated microphones at each trap, skeet and sporting clays station. I can't speak to anything regarding their sensitivity settings, I can state with autoloaders the slamming of the action often throws a bird. I've an 1100 and have learned to turn away (barrel up) to about three o'clock and release the shell into the chamber as I rotate forward thus negating the premature release. One of the guys purposely stands extra close to the microphone stand and for chuckles from the low-position releases a shell into a Benelli autoloader which launches a bird. If you've an autoloader or pump perhaps standing close to the microphone, shouldering then working a shell into the chamber could prove a workable solution.
You make a very good point here. I also have launched a target by accident when loading a round in my A400.

· Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Autoloaders won't activate the mics where I shoot nor will pumps. There are a few guys that shoot both but I shoot O/Us.

I'm even thinking about tapping the microphone stand with my left foot. That might do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts