Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it doesn't matter how much care you take or how much thought you put into it. Some SOB is eventually going to steal your gun. I had a beautiful Browning A5 with 3 barrels I sent to Art's Gunshop via a call tag from UPS, not USPS or FedEX but UPS. I always thought UPS was the most reliable of the delivery services.

I needed Art to go over the gun, clean it, tune it up and get it functioning with the myriad of barrels and rings that I had. UPS or FedEX will not take a gun from an individual. Yes, you heard that right. I can't ship a gun, any gun as an individual. They have to give me a tag. I asked Art's to insure it all for the actual value of the shotgun plus 3 barrels, one being a Hastings rifled barrel. (I'm hoping they did). The brown truck shows up right on time, picks up the gigantic case and it vanishes. Over a week goes by and still no delivery. I call UPS and they say (from India I'm pretty sure) that there is no problem at all and it is going to be delivered that day. That was a lie. They just flat lied to me. She said her screen was updated and mine wasn't. That was a lie.

I track the package today and still sitting in Crystal City since the 19th. I call back and now the woman says from India, Oh it hasn't moved in forever. It's lost. Sorry, here's the place to file a claim. Have a nice day.

I'm betting I have absolute fits on getting paid for my shotgun.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
Way back when, I worked a summer in a UPS sort center; having an FFL, I recognized names like Bill Hicks, RSR, etc on packages coming through. This was way before instant tracking/uploading of data and even then, while things got "lost", security in the facility was tight (as in going through a guard shack where they checked everything). With the modern computerized things now, they should be able to tell you exactly where it is and when it went mssing. I would also let them know that the item stolen was a firearm and that they will be held criminally liable if someone uses it to commit a crime. That might at least get someone in the upper levels involved.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the shop and he is going over to UPS after work today to see what he can do. I'm not hopeful. I would imagine that the UPS sorting center at Crystal City MO is the size of Mount Everest. If the people he runs into there care as much as the ones I talked to on the phone....I would expect better results by writing my info on a paper airplane, folding it up, and tossing it up into the wind.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You'll need to make a formal claim. They probably won't get serious about until it's about 14 days missing. I had the USPS lose a custom knife (both ways) to a refinisher. Way to him it was lost for 21 days and the way back for almost as long. Don't give up yet. Once a claim is made, they seriously get to looking for it.

SW Airlines lost a Model 12 and Ithica 37 for 14 days on my way back from a dove hunting trip from Lubbock to Houston in around 1983. I never did get an explanation as to where they were all that time.

Hoping it all works out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unless rules have changed, a long gun can still be sent to a FFL by an individual, provided the FFL allows that. Some do and some don't. If you are allowed to, the most secure way is USPS Registered Mail. Paper tape on all seams etc. It needs to be signed for at each change of possession. The Hope Diamond was sent that way years ago. And you can insure it as well. Beyond that, you can have your friendly FFL ship to another FFL and if you do that, you can ask for, and be willing to pay for, the Registered USPS. The cost isn't really that bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter how much care you take or how much thought you put into it. Some SOB is eventually going to steal your gun. I had a beautiful Browning A5 with 3 barrels I sent to Art's Gunshop via a call tag from UPS, not USPS or FedEX but UPS. I always thought UPS was the most reliable of the delivery services.

I needed Art to go over the gun, clean it, tune it up and get it functioning with the myriad of barrels and rings that I had. UPS or FedEX will not take a gun from an individual. Yes, you heard that right. I can't ship a gun, any gun as an individual. They have to give me a tag. I asked Art's to insure it all for the actual value of the shotgun plus 3 barrels, one being a Hastings rifled barrel. (I'm hoping they did). The brown truck shows up right on time, picks up the gigantic case and it vanishes. Over a week goes by and still no delivery. I call UPS and they say (from India I'm pretty sure) that there is no problem at all and it is going to be delivered that day. That was a lie. They just flat lied to me. She said her screen was updated and mine wasn't. That was a lie.

I track the package today and still sitting in Crystal City since the 19th. I call back and now the woman says from India, Oh it hasn't moved in forever. It's lost. Sorry, here's the place to file a claim. Have a nice day.
That's not completely accurate about mailing a firearm.
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the suggestions on making the claim and indicating it is a firearm will ultimately work for you. I have never used UPS except to ship ammo because they are the only ones that allow for that I think.

I know this does not help now but I have been lucky using USPS Priority Mail or Registered Mail if it is a high dollar item. I don't use insurance because if it is that important, Registered Mail is the most secure. I know some believe in insurance but I don't. Good luck but I bet it turns up for you at some point. I would be interested as others would be in the final outcome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A lesson perhaps we all should be aware of ,Chit happens !. It's NOT our fault that desperate companies sometimes hire Thieves ,especially with lack of qualified employee's to choose from .

The last couple of years when I have to send related items either to manufacturers or Specialty shops , I Double the insurance value . Reason Two fold ,Motivation for NOT F ing up and losing or having MY stuff stolen , #2 Sometimes you simply CAN'T replace things ,as in manufactures gone out of business or material / labor shortage supply chain wows !.

So remember Life's Short and No one should have to shoot with an Ugly Gun :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
A lesson perhaps we all should be aware of ,Chit happens !. It's NOT our fault that desperate companies sometimes hire Thieves ,especially with lack of qualified employee's to choose from .

The last couple of years when I have to send related items either to manufacturers or Specialty shops , I Double the insurance value . Reason Two fold ,Motivation for NOT F ing up and losing or having MY stuff stolen , #2 Sometimes you simply CAN'T replace things ,as in manufactures gone out of business or material / labor shortage supply chain wows !.

So remember Life's Short and No one should have to shoot with an Ugly Gun :cool:
Just curious but doubling of the insurance value would need to be a verifiable amount in case of a claim wouldn't it? I mean, I couldn't ship a Stevens 311 and insure it as a grade 6 engraved Model 21, and expect to be paid on the latter's value in a claim?

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I think the suggestions on making the claim and indicating it is a firearm will ultimately work for you. I have never used UPS except to ship ammo because they are the only ones that allow for that I think.

I know this does not help now but I have been lucky using USPS Priority Mail or Registered Mail if it is a high dollar item. I don't use insurance because if it is that important, Registered Mail is the most secure. I know some believe in insurance but I don't. Good luck but I bet it turns up for you at some point. I would be interested as others would be in the final outcome.
FEDEX ships ammo as well. All depends on which company the shipper has a deal with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Friend I shoot with DT-11 got lost by Beretta. They've had it since last October and lost it. Supposedly sending him a "new" one, hasn't received it yet. Beretta customer service is one of the worst.

Reactions: oyeme

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is unbelievable! At least since it was Beretta that lost it, they were able to make him whole again. Lost by UPS like the OP had happen, and he will only get some money back-maybe. Sorry to see the OP has not updated his post. Maybe there is nothing to update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts