Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always wanted a slug gun so I finally bought me a couple. I have several Mossberg 835s and recently aquired a 24in slug barrel chambered in 3 1/2in. Just before that I bought a Mossberg 695 22in bolt action slug gun. I really dont have any need for two slug guns. So the question is, which one should I keep. Will a 3 1/2in slug do anything that a 3in wont? Will my 695 be more accurate than my 835, will the 2in barrel difference make much difference. In mississippi we dont have to use shotguns for big game so most of my hunting is done with rifle. This is just a hobby gun that will be used mainly for the wild hogs that live behind my house and an occasional deer hunt. Money is limited so the price of slug shells is a big factor too. I want advice from folks with experience on this not just some quess or opinion made from hearsay. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use 2 3/4" 385 grain sabots at 1900'/sec. in my rifled barrel. They are dead on accurate (2.5 MOA) in my shotgun and I can't imagine a hog or deer walking away from one.

Whether you choose to have the flexibility to use 3 1/2" shells is up to you. Dixie Slugs makes some.

Here is what I recommend to help your decision. Not all barrels like the same ammo. It's a truism for sure. Why not decide on which slug you would like to use that meets your primary needs, and see which of your shotguns is the most accurate with it. That's what I would do.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thats about what ive decided to do. I was thinkin the 3 1/2 would possibly give me more range but the few options available in 3 1/2 are very heavy slugs and although they hsve more powder they will most likely drop faster because of the weight. 3in may be the way to go. My plan is to kill a hog with a slug at 200yds plus. Folks say it wont happen, but im gonna do it then try to push it on out past 250 the next time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts