Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting skeet shooting this month and figured a load based on AA Hulls, WAA12 Wad, 11/8 oz shot and 24 grains of Unique (Mec bushing #33) Powder (was given to me) and RIO 209 primers. I am going to use all the components listed above except switch the powder over to 19 grains of GreenDot (Mec bushing #31) when I run out of the Unique which will be very soon. I am shooting this in a Mossberg 930 and will probably go to 1 ounce shot load after I get a few hundred of these down the pipe to break it in! Any opinions on a 1 ounce skeet load would be GREAT!! This is a new thing for me, I'm expanding my world! I use to duck hunt many years ago when you could still use lead!! I stopped hunting and started to just shoot and load for pistols!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently shooting 1oz #8 shot in WIN AA hulls, and WIN primers, with DRA wads and 17.2 grains of E-3. I find E-3 extremely clean. When these are gone I intend to drop to 7/8oz of 8.5 shot. Works for me if I do my part.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
which AA hull? the old CFW or the new HS hull?

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
im assuming you have a mec600jr?
when you switch to 1oz , youll need a new charge bar.
if i were you with the cost of lead, id switch over now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use the older Winchester AA hulls or Remington hulls, in a MEC 600jr, 17.5 grains of Hodgdons Clays, pink Claybuster wads, and 1oz of #8 shot. They make nice reloads that look like factory ammo. I like Clays powder because it burns clean, with less felt recoil than Red Dot, Green Dot or Unique...........Robin

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
You do not need 1-1/8oz lead loads for 21 yard skeet targets; start with 1oz, then drop to 7/8 and you will eventually discover how well 3/4oz reloads smash targets.

I now ONLY load 3/4oz reloads for both 12 and 20- this gives me 533 reloads from a bag of shot versus your 355 - that is almost 8 boxes more for the same money. With shot now hitting the $60/bag price - yes, $60 per BAG, it pays to cut back. The recoil reduction to your shoulder is also well worth it$8/bag for reclaimed.....oh the good old days

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm loading 7/8 oz. #8 with 17.5 grains of Red Dot in Estate Dove & Target hulls. Work great for skeet thru my Remington 3200.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy, I went from 1 1/8 in the beginning to 7/8 3 months later. My shooting actually
improved. When I shot sporting clays my scores went up 10 birds. I started shooting a Browning Citori had it tubed with briley. Then I bought a Remington 3200 had that tubed
and bought a 1100 to shoot 12 ga. The 1100 shot 7/8 with out any problems. My load is AA hull 18 gr 700x #9 shot, a so wad, WIN 209 primer, I used 700x because I shot trap before. I really enjoyed shooting 12 ga.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
and our first poster goes silent and doesnt answer questions, after we all pour our hearts out. geesh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts