Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the afternoon off yesterday, loaded up my truck and headed for the range. This time I carried my old single shot 20ga shotgun that just happens to be my first gun. It belonged to my grandfather and was given to me by my dad when I was 9 years old. I had not shot this gun in at least 30 years until yesterday. Brought back some great memorys. I'm gonna try to restore it, and give it a new lease on life, and one day it will belong to my grandson.
If you are lucky enough to still have your first gun, take some pics or a video of it, but even if you don't, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks for lookin,

Donnie D

·
Registered
5 Posts
No pics, but 1st gun was a Stevens Model 58 bolt action 20 Ga shotgun with a detachable box magazine, and a factory installed polychoke.

Still looks as good as the day my dad gave it to me, and still gets a fair amount of trail walking in the Fall for grouse.

Like you, I'll keep in in the cabinet for the day when I can pass it on to my son.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i still have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
As well no pic here, but my first firearm was a model 91/30 Mosin Nagant. After getting it I took it to the Shooting Range with a Brass Punch and a Hammer and knocked the Front Sight back into place. It seems to me when they ship those things over here they deliberately go through a Hurricane to mess all the sights up on them.. Lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First gun? Well that would be a Springfield Model 10 or 15 rifle?? It was a single shot, pull the bolt back, .22 LR. My mother's BF brought it from Mexico. He said it was used during Pancho Villa's time. LIAR! It was manufactured well past Villa's time. Just one of those old wives tales.
Now if you are talkin' handgun, that would be a Ruger Super Single Six Convertible Revolver. Wow, that's a mouthful. Anyways, it was .22 LR/.22 Mag (two cylinders).
Now if you are talkin' SG, just got it last year. Originally was looking for an FN SLP, but during the great firearms/ammo shortage of 2013, it was not available, at least not at my LGS's. Finally after several months and the money burnin' a hole in my pants (savings account actually), I saw a Benelli M2 Tactical. I knew Benelli made great shotguns so I "pulled the trigger on it". It had a Comfortech stock, Ghost Ring sights (which are highly accurate) and a very smooth action.
I got a picatinny rail for the top of the receiver, thinkin' of a Red Dot/scope in the future. I got a Nordic BFB (Big Fat Benelli) Bolt Handle and a Tru Lock Crio Tactical Breeching Choke (not that I am going to be busting down doors anytime in the future). In the next month or so, I plan on getting a Nordic Magazine Extension Tube to increase the capacity.
I just got back from the nearby desert hills where I took it out and fired some Winchester 2 3/4" Light Loads. I used those because I have read a lot on the forums about the light loads hanging up upon ejection, failing to feed and not locking the bolt back after the last fired round. NOT TRUE with my M2. I appreciate a semi-auto that will fire faster than a pump and not give away my position if I were to rack a pump in a HD situation.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
Nice, mine would have been bought new about 1980 or so. Some other LH person wanted it more than I did back then; one of the few guns I let get away that I should have kept

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I know what you mean, I've regretted durn near every gun that I've ever sold.
This one is a 16ga 1941-made 37R solid rib, Grandpa bought it for Dad when he joined the Navy on Dec 8 1941. I also have a 1941 20ga 37R and one of the new 28ga 37's. I think I was destined to have the 28ga - it is ser# 87. Ithaca started the solid-rib models with their own series of serial numbers starting with 70000. Dad's gun is 70087. Purely coincidental, I didn't order the 28 that way - but I woulda if I'd thought of it. ;)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
They may be a little too well-made. Tolerances are really tight - mine is really ammo-sensitive. If a hull's rim is a little too big, or if it isn't sized down to at least factory spec, it hangs up in the magazine. That can get frustrating.

·
Registered
303 Posts
No pictures because they were given to grandchildren. My first rifle was a 22lr single shot Remington bolt action and my first shotgun was a 20ga, Iver Johnson, Champion, bored extra full. My first handgun, and I still have it, is a Ruger Bearcat, .22 cal, single action, that I bought for the princely sum of $49.50, in 1064......Robin

·
Registered
337 Posts
No photo but my first gun was a Mossberg model 185 20 ga bolt action shotgun with the c-lect choke that I bought new in 1966. Do not remember the exact price but I received change from two twenties. Sold it in 1968 to a cousin with no hobbies who I was trying to interest in hunting. It worked out as he became a very good hunter and trap shooter and has an impressive firearms collection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first was a cricket youth model .22. Dad and I put a scope that he had laying around on it. He's still got it somewhere

sent from the tractor cab

1 - 16 of 16 Posts