Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to show off your tactical/combat/3-gun competition scatterguns! C'mon. I've got an RIA VR 82 in 20ga inbound to my LGS.馃榿 Here's my 2 latest (Stoeger M3020 Tactical and Stevens 320 HD), both in 20ga.
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Registered
Here's my Stevens 320 that I bought not too long ago and have been bringing it up to par with a side-mount 2-point sling, a light mount, ESSTAC cards for on-board ammo storage, and a Choate +1 magazine extension.

Registered
Here's my Stevens 320 that I bought not too long ago and have been bringing it up to par with a side-mount 2-point sling, a light mount, ESSTAC cards for on-board ammo storage, and a Choate +1 magazine extension.
I just bought a 320 for my son...what sling mounts did you use on the stock and mag tube?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are what I out on my 320HD. I use them on all of my long arms requiring swivels:
Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Comfort Auto part Font

Registered
I don't have a link or a part number for the sling swivels. I pretty much just Googled for what I wanted and bought what looked like it would work. Here's a pic of the front picatinney rail mount that clamps to the mag tube:

You can clamp any picatinney rail accessory on in several orientations. I clamped on a sling swivel adapter that accepts those QD sling swivels that have a button in the middle that plugs into the mount. The same picatinney rail mount also accepts my light mount.

For the rear I bought an adapter for the hollow polymer stocks that you have to drill and tap the plastic stock for the QD adapter, screw it in, then add a nut on the inside. Seems to work OK, but I could have done a better job of drilling it straight. The issue is that the outside surface of the stock and the shape of the inside molding of the stock are not parallel to each other, so my swivel mount, although secure, is kind of gapped away from the stock a little. If I had to do it again I might have, for the rear, used one of those strap deals made for an AR15 that adapts it to a side sling mount. Then there would be no drilling required.

The most difficult thing to install was the heat shield. I bought the one from ATI, but it wouldn't fit right out of the box. I had to shorten the heat shield by cutting off about 3/4" or so at the receiver end in order to get the screw-clamp bits to land on the barrel behind the barrel lug that attaches the barrel to the mag tube. Then the bolts that they supplied were defective, so I had to make a run to the hardware store. You would think, since ATI owns Savage-Stevens (I think.) that they would make one that really fits their own shotgun. I think that they just sold one that fits a Winchester 1300 and called it close enough. It's funny that I always thought that a shotgun heat shield was just a "tacticool" item, until I was at the range and a guy was showing me how to do tactical reloads using a shotgun. I found that it doesn't take too many rounds before that barrel gets HOT. You sometimes have to turn the shotgun on it's side, or maybe bottom-up, to do a reload, and you WILL burn your hand on the hot barrel.

By the way. Here's the sling I used:

I have had zero experience with so called "tactical" slings, and was going to use an old G.I. M1 Grand web sling, or maybe a VietNam "silent sling". These are pretty much a simple web strap that would just hang the shotgun off of your shoulder. I did see a video on YouTube, however, where a guy who was a "sling Neanderthal" like me was given a lesson in the use of a two-point quick adjust tactical sling, and in the end he was won over. So I figured that I would give it a try. I have to say I am now convinced, and will likely buy the same sling to install on my AR-15. However this sling came with no instructions, and was pretty intimidating to a tactical sling newbie like me. I looked around on the internet and saw video instructions on YouTube on essentially the identical sling (from which this el-cheapo version was copied I expect) that took me by the hand and led me through the installation step-by-step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts