Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends, Shotguns is altering the sport with shotguns devises that are thumping the opposition. We know that shotguns called shotguns.

Choosing and utilizing the best weapon and ammo it's very important.

Here we talk on below topics:
  • What's the best gun for home defense?
  • What's the best ammo?
  • What's the best shotgun for a woman? And more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It should be a pump shotgun, either in 12 ga or 20 ga. The barrel should be no more than 20" long, preferably 18 or 18.5 inch. It should have a normal shoulder stock. Avoid the pistol grip only setup (harder to aim and control).

Any brand will do, as long as the action works well.

You should familiarize/train with the gun. You should get in some target practice with it. When, and if, you need the gun for defense, you don't want to be just learning it.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
accessories = snake oil.

buy a gun, load it, and fire it.
everything else is pazaaz (snake oil)
the more complicated you make it, the worse it gets. period.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are so many variables in the world of shotguns. I say, research all of these variables, go out and shoot as many different kinds as you can and see what works for you. This includes the ammo. what can you handle in the way of recoil. What your spouse can handle.
Take into account if you have any family members in the house. Have a plan in case of home invasion. Practice.
Some people who are in the forum will only recommend what they own/purchased and what works for them. Your situation might/probably is completely different.
Also, take into account if a SG is really for you. Would a handgun or a higher capacity rifle work better for you?
Lots of things to think about including where and when to store them for safety sakes. Good luck.

------------------------------
.22 Bearcat
.380 LCP
9mm LC9
.45 KP345PR
5.56/.223 AR
12 ga. SG

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
this thread reminds me of someone asking:

"what do i to eat, im hungry."

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've posted this on another thread but we use a 20 ga. pump with an 18.5 in. cylinder choke barrel loaded with #1 buck reloads. My wife is a very small person and is not able to handle the additional weight and recoil of a 12 ga. The only modification added was a fiber optic front sight instead of the factory bead sight.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
in order to use optics, a shotgun must be raised to the eye, defeating the beauty of a shotguns abilty to be just aimed and fired in close quarters.
optics turn the simple design of a shotgun, into a rifle.
sorry to all that love tacticool stuff....but facts is facts.
accuracy isnt needed with buck shot. its why they invented buck shot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agree, this FO sight is a small round filament that lays flat against the barrel. When looking down the barrel one sees a bead, one that can be seen in low light situations.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
sights are for aiming.
you dont aim a shotgun.
slug? yes. shot? no.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Agree, this FO sight is a small round filament that lays flat against the barrel. When looking down the barrel one sees a bead, one that can be seen in low light situations.
One should not be looking down the barrel, one should be looking at the target - whether clay, feather, fur or human. Proper grip with the off hand will naturally let you point the gun at your target

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
front sites arent for around corners or in a house at night!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here we can see the difference between clay shooters and hunters.
The majority of clays are shot at a specific location, shooter standing at the ready with the stock/cheek weld in the proper position (aimed) and calls for the target.
When hunting, the majority are walking, some on uneven ground or swamp/forest environments, not knowing where or if game in nearby or where and when the quarry appear.
The shotgun must be brought to bear at any time at any angle, even behind the shooter. The shooter slaps the gun to his cheek, checks the cheek weld by quickly eyeing the bead, then fires.
Although 99.999% of us will (hopefully)never encounter a lethal HD scenario, the procedure to acquire the target etc. will be more in line with the hunting scenario. Patterns are small at close distances so one can miss.
Having a bead that can be seen in low light should aid in shotgun placement during a stressful situation.
After all, clay shooting is a game, hunting and HD are not.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
defending a home is not a tactical situation.
from the moment a perp enters, its defend.
all these silly toys for guns came about as a facination over seeing them on tv used by swat or being used in combat. but, there isnt a true application for them....so they invented a situation, they made a sport out of it running around shooting things. afterall, if you dont have a war, make one.
it sold very well and still is.

but the fact remains, needing 10 shots in your home with laser sights and 10 more rounds snapped to your stock is lunacy. most of this stuff is sold to the public with only one thing in mind...sales. knowng, 99% of it will never really be used for its intention.

home defense, ok.
but the minute you step outside your home and go seeking enemy, you become tactical aggressor and in an assault mode. whole different story. and the last time i checked, if you get caught tracking down perps outside your home...you go to jail.

so is that what americans have become?
this is why i dont buy off on any of it.

and if you live in a place where you(think) you need a 15 round shotgun with laser sights....maybe its time to check outside your window and see where you live. it may not be america.

Reactions: fflincher

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i got a bead.
not a laser sight or 10 rounds slung over my shoulder. lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts