Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could suggest a nice all purpose shotgun. I will be using it for home defense as well as turkey and deer hunting. I am currently interested in Mossberg and Bennelli. I like the tactical look and I like pistol grips. I would like to keep the price between $300-$1000 (max). Still thinking about an AR, just not sure I can afford to actually shoot one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of people like Both brands you mentioned. I have a Remmy 870 express with the Knoxx recoil stock and pistol grip and I am very happy with it. I use it for home defense and it worked pretty damn good on the clays at the range, so I assume you could use it for other uses if need be.

It's a short smooth barrel. FYI.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remington 870. I have the Express Supermag thats 3 1/2" shell capable with its stock 28" barrel. For its HD role, I have an 870P 18" barrel in it.

Jack of all trades with just a barrel swap. And its an 870 so you just cant go wrong!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At that price point I'd go Mossberg with 2-barrel combo.
Plus I prefer the Mossy and the tang safety unless you are really set on pistol grip then go Rem.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want a pistol grip get a maverick 88 same thing as a mossberg 500 except the safety is on the trigger so you can have a pistol grip. If you have that much money I'll give you a list of things, bottom is less necessary but higher end stuff.
maverick 88
ati foldover stock/pistol shoulder stock
5+1 or 7+1 tube set up

knox recoil stock

mossberg 590A1

Accuchoke barrel with VR for skeet

Barrel choice for HD is a preference thing but in order of use heres what I'd say
18.5/20 with bead
barrel shroud
18.5/20 with ghost rings
Vent rib barrel as short as you can find or have made (I think its faster)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much did this rig set you back? Do you hunt with this setup, or do you swap the buttstock and barrell? Thanks for posting.
870 @ Cabelas: $299.99 (2006)
Knoxx Stock @ Cabelas: $119.99
Hogue Forend from BlackHawk: $30 ( I think)
ScopeMount from BassPro: $50
Bushnell red/green sight, cabelas: $120
Original Mag Extension, Ebay $20
Total: $640.00 plus taxes

No I originally bought this for HD, had planned to do some pig hunting with slugs (which I very well could....) but found it more fun to snipe them when I bought my FN .308 :) I sold the original stock and forend to make up some of the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts