Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a recently-purchased Mossberg 500 12 gauge that I'd like to take skeet shooting. What type of sights would be best for this purpose? I have a Hogue stock & fore end set coming for it, as well as a 28" barrel (it was originally a pistol-grip, 20" barrel HD gun). Just want to get the right sights for skeet to go along with the other changes. Any suggestions? :confused:

P.S. - I'm new to the world of shotguns (but not to firearms - I have 8 others) and have never shot skeet. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Traditional wing shooting technique dictates that if you are focusing on the front sight, you will miss. Therefore, replacing the stock front with something that takes your focus away from the target is a negative, not a positive. This would especially apply to skeet - you just don't have time to look for a front sight. Other than shooting stationary targets, such as deer or turkey, a shotgun is pointed, not aimed.

If you can join a skeet league and/or get some instruction, you will be way, way ahead, even if you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No rear sight at all! As for the front sight, if you're looking at it, you're missing. Supposing the shotgun actually fits you, when you put it in the shoulder pocket all you're seeing is the front sight, looking straight down the top of the barrel, them just keep your eye on the target, bring the gun up until it touches your cheek, nod slightly, watching the target all the time, pull the trigger.

The hard part is not thinking/aiming too much.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sights? We don't need no stinking sights!
Clays move at 60 mph and sights are near useless in acquiring, tracking and blasting the target.
What I do see is the barrels, upper rib and front bead.
The simple brass front bead and upper rib is all I need. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you need a rear sight, KelTec makes an iron V rear sight that mounts to a Picatinny rail. I mounted one to my Mossy Road Blocker so I'd have a rear sight. Also replaced the bead with a high-viz Tru-Glo. The net/net is pretty good... but I don't/won't shoot skeet with this thing; it's my HD gun. The targets I plan to use it against don't move at 60 mph... though they might if they see that huge muzzle brake coming around the corner at them. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
take the sights/bead off. focus on the target and don't look at the gun...

·
Registered
721 Posts
devsn;
The bead on your barrel is an ornament, not a gun sight. The human eye can not focus on multiple objects at the same time at different distances. I would suggest that you find a qualified coach in your area to assist you rather than investing in an ornament that will ultimately prove detrimental to your shooting.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
the front bead is only needed to get your initial sight alignment to the gun. once you have sight alignment, you change focus to the target. many who have been shooting the same gun for decades dont need a sight, because the gun fits so well, the need to align is not required. ive shot many a game w/o a front sight only to learn it fell off 3 games ago...and still did perfectly.
but youre learning. you need to learn to align your eye to the bbl. keep the front bead.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My Weatherby Orion has two beads. They are anly used to see that I am looking straight down the barrel. Once aligned, I never see the beads, only the bird. Like in most other sports, follow through is important. Keep the barrel swinging through the bird, until it disappears in a puff of smoke..........Robin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts