Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your "go to" choice of shotgun powder. I like Hodgens Clays, and have used it in 12 and 20 gages. It burns clean and has less felt recoil...

Reactions: SkipD

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
700x
red dot
hs6
unique

and 2400

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
hey randy!
i gave up on tff. im here now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only shoot 20 ga now and I have been using Unique for my informal clays shooting in the desert. I load 7/8 loads of shot. Unique was the only powder the store had the first time I went in to purchase 20 ga powder. It seems to do the job for me so I have stuck with it.
For my 20 ga buck shot loads I had some Blue Dot already on hand so I have been using it with success.
Both powders are usually available when all this current madness is not going on. I see no reason at this time to venture to any other powder at this time.
Cary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unique for my non-toxics in my 10 and my 12 gauge. Easy powder to use. I hunt all forms of waterfowl, and it's hell on crows...been shooting it since the day's of lead. I shoot stacked loads: gas seal seperate from wad...

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
Used to use Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot in 12 - now Titewad and 3/4oz loads
Universal for 20 as it also works well in my handguns

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have used Unique and found it to be very dirty, like Red Dot. Now, I use Hodgens Clays, for 12ga and 20ga. 17.5 grains of Clays, one ounce of #8 shot, and Clybuster wads, in the 12 and 16 grains of clays, 7/8 ounce of #9 shot, and Claybuster wads in the 20. Clays burns clean, you can look down the barrel after, a round of skeet, and it dosen't look like its been shot. Clays also has less felt recoil than Red Dot or Unique.....Robin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts