Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shotgun that has both stock and pistol grip that can be easily interchanged. I want to buy a shotgun (like a mossberg) that will be mainly for home defense but ocassionally will be used for plinking and skeet shooting. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a shotgun that has both stock and pistol grip that can be easily interchanged. I want to buy a shotgun (like a mossberg) that will be mainly for home defense but ocassionally will be used for plinking and skeet shooting. Any suggestions???
I'm not sure how much budget is a concern to you, but the Mossberg Maverick 88 fits the bill. It's cheap, dependable and most if not all add ons for Mossberg 500 fit it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as mentioned the remington 870 and mossberg 500 are long time favs. They are like 1911's, jeeps wranglers, ruger 10/22 in that there are a million bolt on's for anything you could ever want to do.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shotgunning is definitely full of compromising selections. If you're really wanting to do skeet or trap shooting, you're going to want a longer barrel which won't be very useful for the home defense application. Your shorter home defense barrels won't hold a tight pattern at any usable distance for skeet or trap.

When I purchased my Mossberg, it came with 2 barrels. They sell them as "Combos." One barrel got cut down to 18", and the other was left as is (24" ported w/ rifle sights). I don't use my longer barrel for skeet, rather action shotgun matches. It works rather well for me in that particular application.

In my opinion, you should consider different barrels in addition to the furniture you're already considering. If i were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a solution with both an 18"-20" barrel and a 28" barrel.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give a vote for the Mossberg 500. I have one with a 28" barrel for hunting, etc., a slug barrel for deer, and a nice little 20" barrel with an open choke that is installed on it under the bed for home defense. Easy swap out and it's like having 3 different guns.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give a vote for the Mossberg 500. I have one with a 28" barrel for hunting, etc., a slug barrel for deer, and a nice little 20" barrel with an open choke that is installed on it under the bed for home defense. Easy swap out and it's like having 3 different guns.
How expensive are the barrels???

Would it be possible to get just the 20" for home defense and occasional skeet shooting??? The skeet shooting that I do is just playing around with my Dad et al.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big 5 sporting goods here sells the Mossberg 500 kit, which includes both the 18.5" legal limit home defense barrel and the 28" bird barrel.

IIRC they are ~ 300 bucks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I purchased my Mossberg, it came with 2 barrels. They sell them as "Combos." One barrel got cut down to 18", and the other was left as is (24" ported w/ rifle sights). I don't use my longer barrel for skeet, rather action shotgun matches. It works rather well for me in that particular application.

In my opinion, you should consider different barrels in addition to the furniture you're already considering. If i were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a solution with both an 18"-20" barrel and a 28" barrel.
I think I will look into this... this may be the best option.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I own a win 1300 black shadow which I use for everything from home defence to sporting clays but when it comes to skeet you need to be quick on jacking it (no pun intended) I shot a round of skeet the other day after a round of sporting clays and only got a 21, made me wish I brought my Browning A-5, but you deal with what you have my dad has a Mossberg 500 it also a great gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
professor a midwest chain called dunhams sells the reminton 870 super mag combo with two barrels for around $330-350 on sale, its a good deal rifle retails over $500. Basically same idea as the moss 500. Both are great guns used by cops in patrol cars since the 1960s. The are long time favs of lots of folks, i dont think you can really go wrong with the 870 or 500. I have the 870 super mag express myself, and my pops has had a mossy 500 for about 15 years. Never a problem with either of them.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
professor a midwest chain called dunhams sells the reminton 870 super mag combo with two barrels for around $330-350 on sale, its a good deal rifle retails over $500. Basically same idea as the moss 500. Both are great guns used by cops in patrol cars since the 1960s. The are long time favs of lots of folks, i dont think you can really go wrong with the 870 or 500. I have the 870 super mag express myself, and my pops has had a mossy 500 for about 15 years. Never a problem with either of them.
Thanks, I am going to look into it...

I am in the investigation stage... I have learned, the hard way, it is better to investigate a lot before buying, that way you know what you are getting.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMHO, I'd try a pistol grip out before you buy one. I've shot several shotguns with pistol grips and I hate them. The pistol grip makes it VERY difficult to control the shotgun and absorb recoil, especially if you're talking 12 gauge. My HD 870 has a traditional stock and I'm confident it would work fine for a home defense scenario. The pistol grips just felt too out of control for me to be comfortable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts